Newbie -help needed - Rattling's getting worse

Guest VRGeezer

Hi to all i'm new on here and could use some help

Recently bought a mk2 with an Early 2.9(dizzy type) engine , the engine's a rebuilt unit from Vege done 0 miles when i bought it , so i run it in carefully and enjoyed the first 3000 miles . On my way to Bvf - hot day - fan comes on and unknown to me a stray hose clip makes a bid for freedom through the rad and the first thing i know about it is the oil temp reading 140 (thank god for MFA) instantlly switched of the engine coast into a layby and see puddles so we wait for the aa. Since then ive had a rattle which is now getting worse its definatley engine based as it rises with revs not speed and appears to be coming from the top lefthand side of the engine (as you look at it) its only a soft tapping clicky noise , at first i thought it was a sticky tappet but the sounds not quite right for that .

So firstly what damage might i have caused by running such a high oil temp and secondly anyone any ideas what the noise could be ?

Any help would be greatly recieved

Its been running fine since - oil and water temps fine , no loss of power but when i first started it up after the above the water pump was leaking (i think - water running down the front left hand side of the block ) but this has since stopped and the car uses no water at all , it does seem to get hotter quicker in traffic .

Sorry its abit long but i'm starting to panic .

I doubt it would be timing chains on a spanking new engine (unless they didn't replace them). Timing chains are also on the right hand side as you look at the engine (passenger side).

The only thing on the top end that side are your tappets. I'm not sure how much 140 degrees would effect our engines.

All I can say is I bet it got pretty thin! I reckon its followers. You could have starved a couple of oil at that temperature. Just a thought.

Guest VRGeezer

Cheers peoples the noise is definatley coming from the d,s of the engine and its getting quite bad so i'm going to take it back to the garage i bought it from and ask them to take a look , after all it was them who left the worm clip in the fan shroud , wont be too harsh with them as they are good people and anyone can make a mistake .

Ive never worked on a six pot are The followers easy to change (ie more or less difficult than an 8v gti engine) , its getting the timing gear to line back up that worries me .