When should I change?

The handbook makes no special point of changing oil more frequently on VR6s, suggesting the same 15K miles or 12month routine as the rest of the range.

However it's common, either because everyone loves their VR6s so much or just feel guilty for driving them as if they stole them, to double that frequency; 7-8K miles or 6months.

Which should I use?

People always have their own views on which make to use. What is more generally accepted is that 'high milers' are best using semi synthetic as it doesn't seep past worn components so readily. Fully synthetic tends to be more expensive so must be better ;-) if you can get away with using it. VW produce their own oils called Synta. The Gold is fully synthetic and Silver semi. It can be picked up at around 33% off main dealer prices from such places as Euro Car Parts and GSF. Note: they won't send it mail order. Or from other traders at VW shows.

How hot should the oil get (in Celcius)?

90-98 is normal for standard driving conditions.

98-104 on long motorways hauls.

104-112 during spirited driving.

Obiously if it's an especially hot day, the temp will be higher.

For you peace of mind: I have had mine upto 142C in Germany, with no immediate consequences. However it's not recommended, I did feel guitly about it, it got it's 2nd oil change within a month when I got back and I'm looking to change the oil cooler.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...