Hey, just found out the mk5 Gti is pretty quick! well at least in the 1st to 3rd gear stakes, absolutely no chance after that against the vr ;) and it was a mere dot in the mirror and getting smaller by 5th, i slowed down at 77mph :$ to let him pass :) , took him a while ;) it got a smirk from him espacially as it was a 55 plate motor v a P reg!, all v dubbers together and all that

love the look of the mk5 gti,very surprised though thought it was quicker than the vr6.

Noticed on one of your threads that your getting a mk4 r32, been thinking of changing the vr for one but not sure weather to go for the mk5 gti or the mk4 r32,prefer the mk4 r32 better for looks instead of the mk5 r32.

Have you test driven the r32 yet (m) ,had one local to us but got sold so could'nt test drive it,ready for a change but cant decide :S

he he it was pretty even which is why it was fun! 18k vs 4k, the vr only really started opening the gap at top revs in 3rd, and i can assure you the mk5 driver was trying!! i know its a bigger engine but not by much and it goes to show you just coz its newer dont mean its better! people either under estimate the vr6 or just dont know what it is sometimes, most people i know are shocked when you tell them its a 2.8 engine, cant wait to get my R32 with the 4wd and another 60 bhp will be fun!! i have found the R32 i want i am just waiting to move house and i will have all the money!!! bloody solicitors holding it up!!! grrrrrr

23k for a 5 door highline, i was talking worth today though, vr6 is still an awesome little car pound for pound against a lot of more expensive machinery, mind i do remember fondly my Lhasa green mk1 gti whooping my my mates mk2 gti every time we went anywhere, just goes to show the build and engineering is always years ahead of its time on most vw`s, it took the japs long enough to catch up with the Germans when it comes to fast reliable small-ish cars didnt it!

I,m going for the mk4 r32, got a insurance quote 130 pounds a year more than my vr6 well chuffed.

But they are still fetching 16'000 plus at dealers which is big money for a mk4 but you do get alot of car, what colour you having phm.

I' date='m going for the mk4 r32, got a insurance quote 130 pounds a year more than my vr6 well chuffed.

But they are still fetching 16'000 plus at dealers which is big money for a mk4 but you do get alot of car, what colour you having phm.

[/quote']

I am toying with a Grey one at the minute!! not to sure if its too drab a colour though? other than that i got dibs on a blue one, black is also quite appealing!! i will probably end up with a blue on though! but the grey is nice and oh so rare as it wasnt listed for uk cars, we shall see mmmmmm

people either under estimate the vr6 or just dont know what it is sometimes' date=' most people i know are shocked when you tell them its a 2.8 engine, cant wait to get my R32 with the 4wd and another 60 bhp will be fun!! i have found the R32 i want i am just waiting to move house and i will have all the money!!! bloody solicitors holding it up!!! grrrrrr

[/quote']

Are you going for the mark 5 R32? What mods do you have engine wise and power on your current mk3 vr? The mk5 gti has pretty similar stats to a stock OBD2 vr. So a lightly modded vr should have the edge due to its ligher weight. I loved that episode of top gear testing old cars against new equivalents...the old came out on top overall... mainly due to newer cars being heavier with less power to weight ratio.

no matth76 i am getting a mk4 R32

1157015243_2067_FT133542_spcheespoof.gif cant quite afford a MK5 and tbh i dont like it as much as the original at the minute, the only mods on my vr6 are a jetex exhaust and the wheels and lamps! apart from that everything is standard, even the air filter is a vw genuine item! its just turned 88k on the clock and the engine is as sweet as, really pulls and pulls, it has a FVWSH so maybe that counts for something?, its always been well looked after.

monster you got a point with people under estimating the vr6, we had a real cool (proper underground)cruise few years back in n.ireland ( bishopscourt) it was an old air field run way in the countryside that had drag racing on a sunday night every month sometimes twice a month and i have to say my vr6 suprised me loads of times when put head to head with loads of different faster machinery, it also suprised me when i raced the mates accord type r, thought the accord would have passed me but i had the edge ( i was in front by a couple of car lengths and while he went with me i stayed infront right thru 5th too), he had a 2004 type r civic after that and that did go past the vr6 no hassle, seemed to have about a car or so length per gear on me, tho when we went from 40 in 2nd i got infront but again thru his 3rd and 4th changes he passed me, id have thought the mk5 gti would have went past a standard vr6 like mine ( you would like to think it would especially over a back road where i find the vr6 lacks a bit due to the gearing). dont think the r32s that much quicker than a vr either, ive went with a few of them and stayed in touch but then thats maybe driver factor, hard to know as i never driven an r32

funny u boys should all b talkin bout this,last nite i raced a dark blue mk5 gti at a local drag strip where about 100 plus cars meet up on a industrial estate in basildon every sat nite a race like theirs no 2mora :) all i can say is it was match 4 match until i got in2 late 3rd where i ad a little bit more than him!he pulled up 2 me & asked if i ad a charger under the bonnet,i laughed & told him ive only got a ss zorst & air filter(f**k me that goes well he replied) ;)

Love mine too, been a great car actually my best and most reliable car yet,but ive had it since 2000 and s/charged since 2001 and pissed a lot of drivers off in a lot more expensive cars even worse because it is debadged.They are quite light compared to a lot of performance cars nowadays power to weight is always a goodun,but still looking forward to mk4 r32 ownership i've been looking for cars the same amount of money m3 e46, s4 etc m3 is another 400 a year insurance r32 130. I can always s/c at a later date regal are working on a stage 4 s/c conversion now with silly bhp. :)