Hi guys,

Has anybody sucessfully installed an Xbox or similar in their VR without audio system interference ?

I've wired the Xbox into my alpine head unit using an FM Modulator from Maplins enabling me to tune the Xbox into a preset FM frequency which works superb.

However for power i'm using a 300Watt Power Invertor plugged into cig lighter or hard wired to the battery which is producing a crackling noise in the car audio which is a pity because the sound and bass is awesome.

Using infra red headphones via the headrest monitors you get no interference which is keeping the daughter happy in the back.

I've been doing a lot of Googling and it seems as though the Xbox actually works on 12volt and if you can replace the power board with a M1-ATX or summit you can hardwire direct to the 12 volt car supply. This is more efficient and uses less of your battery juice but yhis is the scarey bit as without anybodies help i'll be ordering it blind off the internet.

Has anybody fitted one of these M1-ATX things or have you had success with something else ?

Cheers in advance for any help ;)

G

Cheers lads.

My thoughts exactly about the PC bit, prob is although the Xbox uses a PC style ATX socket on the motherboard the wiring isn't exactly the same, a 3.5v wire is missing. I think i need a little simple adaptor circuit with diodes etc :-(

If i get it wrong i can kiss goodbye to my daughters Xbox :-(

Needs somemore investigation.

;-)

Hi I am using an M1-ATX 90w power supply in my VR to power my in car pc. Some useful info where I got mine at Linitx .

The benefits of it are it does not leave your pc on all the time, thus draining your battery, it can be set to shut down your pc a certain amount of time after your ignition has been turned off. It also detects load on your battery and shuts down the pc before your battery gets too low to start your car.

I have no problems with this unit, recomended, not sure how you would interface it with an xbox tho, you using it for games or audio / video.

Cheers bud,

It's being used as a media center, DVD/Videos, MP3s and Games (Fast ones ;-) )

The Xbox is in effect a PC which even has an ATX socket on the motherboard but it's slightly different. I'm trying to talk some of the sparkies into making up an adaptor circuit i've got the diagram but there all acared as at the top it says "USE AT YOUR OWN RISK"