General moan

I love my VR to bits but its now starting to cost me loads of money, i need

sunroof motor(£25 scrappy)

timing chains and clutch(£350)

new exhaust(£350)

suspension(£250)

To top it all off i got a quote yesterday for new radiator fans as mine are really noisey and i think thay are gonna die very soon £800 ....

I have asked before but does anyone know anything about custom fans such as spal fans and has anyone done them and can advise what setup and how to do ect.....

VR's are great but the don't half seem to cost loads on parts and pretty difficult to work on. i'm gonna have to do the work myself as i can't afford to take it to a garage, not looking forward to doing the chains....

yeah i just found out about the fan, gutted.

I 'm really suprised considering that some guys on here have chargers noone seems to know anything or have custom cooling.

If i'm wrong and anyone on here does know about custom fan setups and indeed has one i would be interested to here what you've got and how you set it up ect......

thanks for your help Kaz, i spoke to my mate who works at vw and he said they are different which i'm gutted about. i think the outputs are the same but the blades are different sizes apparently so they won't fit in the space available.

He might be wrong though, obviously main dealers can only do things by the book.

Anyway thanks alot for your time mate

if you went custom fans, talk to kevhaywire on here as he has some due to his log inlet set-up, then you could always go for an in-car controller setup on one fan only so you could have it running whenever for extra earlier cooling, and the other on the thermo switch as per the norm!

On one hand, VR6s are all getting old now and yes, big things are starting to go wrong with them.

On the other hand, there are LOADS of VR6s finding their way into breakers' yards right now, so second-hand parts are plentiful & cheap.

Go to breakers wherever you can, and for anything new go to GSF.

dstyrrell: They are all parts you can get from your friendly VW breakers! PM kilokiller of Stoke Vw Spares who can probs help you out :)

Pete

Timing chains' date=' clutch, exhaut and suspension??

[/quote']

Yep, He did my clutch, front suspension, and he's done quite a few other members chains ;)

well i knocked one thing off my list today and got a sunroof motor for £20 off the scrappy.

I know i was moaning about my VR but i've been driving it alot today and i do love it completly and i think that its worth spending the money.

I hope that people reading this thread won't be put off. Seriously i think that VR's are awesome and i think that i'm gonna keep mine for a long time to come.

i think that youd struggle to find another type of car for under 5 grand that could offer that much.

• 2 weeks later...

Well please

I joined www.PARTSGATEWAY.com and did a search for radiator fan, its a web site that searches loads of scrappys and finds your bit.

Anyway within a day i got a quote from Stevens VW dismantler and i bought a radiator fan for £55 including VAT and delivery !!

Good breaker, polite prompt service, and next day delivery !!!