vr6 v's evo 8

on my way home tonite i came up behind an evo 8, it was traveling at speed, followed it for mile or so. we then came to a rnd about, i thought if he went straight across i would follow since i knew the road was a open fast main rd, and wanted to know how my car would perform against it. sure enough he did! he hung back at first and then floored it, the race was on... he did at first get away from me in 2nd, but i soon gained on him. going through the gears there wasn't anything in it, which surprised me! by the time i changed into 5th i was sat on his ass, i knew the road went to dual carriageway at the end of the straight so i pulled out and took him!!

i was very shocked at the performance of the evo and was expecting to be left for dead! it was a small spoiler one, does anyone know what bhp they are?? my car is fitted with chip, itg filter, power rohr, 2.9 tb bored out, decat and s/s bk box.

i just keep thinking imagine his face when he seen a mk3 golf pass him!! lol

I kept up with Samvr6 in his evo8 fq 340.. just but that was with a fairly highly modified vr! the evo's are particularly laggy and the turbos generally dont spool up till quite high up in the rev's. consequently they need to be driven properly to get any real result!

Nice drivin tho bet it pi55ed him rite off!!!!

i did notice that he was finding it hard to keep to his side of the road! which was a bit worrying!!

i think he must of been a shite driver, and maybe he wasn't using the gears properly?

i was changing at 6500 in every gear, and couldn't of gone any faster if i wanted...suppose its down to driver really?

he was definitely trying..

I've done an FQ320 with my 12psi Vortech setup. His was flaming out of the exhaust and making all kinds of racket from the over size exhaust, but I just floored it round him on a two lane roundabout and left it. The Evo is a rapid A to B car but it's also quite a big car, so not as agile or easy to place on the twisties as a smaller car....and the lag is terrible :-) You can't expect to get those kinds of outputs from a 2.0 4 pot without lag!

The Evo is a rapid A to B car but it's also quite a big car' date=' so not as agile or easy to place on the twisties as a smaller car

[/quote']

Sorry thats the bit I was referring to, not specifically kevs experience... doesnt say mk3 golf you're right but I doubt there are many VWs that handle better than an EVO 8 tbh

Evos dont half cost some money to run though! a guy at work just sold his 8 , he had nothing but problems with it, it was a year old and he had it from new, clutch went twice! numerous other gremlins with electrics and mechanicals, he even had problems with the suspension being so hard that when he hit rough bits on the roads it was pinching the tyre against the standard rims and defleting the tyres a few psi everytime!!! how dangerous is that!! it took months for the dealer to work out why he was getting so many "punctures" they maybe fast and handle well but reliable and easy to live with they deffinately arent it cost him about 12k to keep it on the road in bills and petrol and thats excluding the warranty stuff!!!!.

Evos are just overhyped. I've seen well driven 205 GTIs make cocky Evo drivers look silly on B roads! Everyone just assumes the Evo is ballistic and as usual, they form that opinion without actually driving one. They're heavy, brittle, thirsty, ugly and they're not even that quick either. I never said any VW can beat an Evo. Just so happened I took one out on a roundabout without much effort, doesn't mean everyone can though. I have a quaife, AP racing brakes, proper racing top mounts and expensive coilovers....so if anything, I had an unfair advantage on the Evo, LOL!

Evos dont half cost some money to run though! a guy at work just sold his 8 ' date=' he had nothing but problems with it, it was a year old and he had it from new, clutch went twice! numerous other gremlins with electrics and mechanicals, he even had problems with the suspension being so hard that when he hit rough bits on the roads it was pinching the tyre against the standard rims and defleting the tyres a few psi everytime!!! how dangerous is that!! it took months for the dealer to work out why he was getting so many "punctures" they maybe fast and handle well but reliable and easy to live with they deffinately arent it cost him about 12k to keep it on the road in bills and petrol and thats excluding the warranty stuff!!!!.

[/quote']

not to mention the service interval of every 100 miles or 2 weeks lol

i done a V10 diesel tourag on the M4 today! do i get a prize? i fawt they were fast innit

lol! those diesels are pretty pokey! but if u'd seen off the petrol version that'd be another story.. they're the same lump as in the lambo (apparently, according one of my customeers who has the lambo) but then again theres not alot of seeing of to be done within the current road limits lol ;)

I agree totally! I like fast cars, but I wanna have a fast car and look inconspicuous too. IMO its a Chav thing to drive Rally cars on the road. Anyone with real taste and money would not be seen dead in one, let alone pay money for the priviledge! Buy a Saab, Volvo, Porsche, decent Beamer(not a 3 Series!), or most things Italian(which are not my taste cos my willy is big enough!).