Thinking of fitting some new front components to my Mk3 Highline.

Just wondering what people have done with theirs.......

1. Where do you mount the crossovers ? In my Mk2 I had the crossovers in the boot and cables running everywhere.... I'd rather mount them nearer the speaker if possible ?

2. Would you Amplify them ? Or run from Head unit ?

3. Which components would you recommend. I like really good quality but not astranomical price so sub £100 really. Was thinking Infinity ?

thanks !

mark.

Mark 6.5" indoors m8, technically tweeters should be mounted within a range of 4-8" from the woofer for ultimate sound reproduction. But that would position em around you knee caps personally i would make a bracket up and position em under the dash grilles where the old ones where fitted. Also i fitted the crossovers under the dash not in the door.

Graham

Infinity Kappa 65.5cs 2-way components here. I have the crossovers mounted to the back of the lower glovebox (this is a shelf on earlier models) on the passenger side - there is plenty of space back there.

For the tweeters, I went for a stealthy install and put them behind the grilles in the dash. Basically I pulled out the original tweeters, made up 2 "L" brackets and mounted the tweeters to those. Works very well.

Front components sound far better if you run them off an amp. I use a Kenwood 2x175W one and it sounds just fine.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Infinity Kappa components. They weren't cheap but they sound awesome. Very punchy midbass units and good stereo imaging. The only problem with them is that the standard speaker grilles in the doors are a pig to refit with these speakers and bits need filing down before they will go back on.

Those speakers will be finiding their way into my mk4 at some point...

• 2 months later...