DIY turbo guide

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I started my turbo install this week, during the evenings. Turbos are starting to become more popular now, especially as the dollar is so weak at the moment. It would be rude not to capitalise on tha

you should be able to get 4" all the way, thats how its is on mine, but then that how markies done his 4" down to 3" back up

liking the look of this thread. im not realy a mechanic but have a technical background do believe i would be able to carry the fitment of a turbo myself??

Yep /\

It has internal modifications to improve the shift quality and has no speedo drive. And the mounting bracket is different, otherwise it's the same, LOL!

I will probably just buy an 02M FWD casing and FWD CV flange from VW and make a decent FWD install out of it. Buying a used 02M 4WD trans and the FWD casing is still cheaper than importing a FWD 6 cyl O2M from the states!!

Or I could just hook up a hall sensor to the CV bolts and just use it as it is with a standalone Speedo (or a GPS speedo / Satnav screen) since I don't use Motronic anymore :-)

All done. Pretty straight forward to install and noise wise, it's about the same as an old K Jet MK1 or MK2 that's got a tired pump. Can't hear it all when cruising, just a buzz/whine at idle. Loads quieter than the normal mounting method :-)

IE_surge_tank_5.jpg

IE_surge_tank_4.jpg

IE_surge_tank_3.jpg

IE_surge_tank_1.jpg

Wow! i dont have time to read it all tonight, but i certainly will soon. I had an idea of fitting a basic turbo setup to my VR soon, which although youve now gone further, all the info should help!

And youre local :)

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I've been reading and admiring your install for a while now, and well done!!

I wuld want day like to do something like this, just that while I have a fair understanding of an engine, I'n not 100% on things like modifying and adding things onto a standard engine..

This really doesnt really have anything to do with this thread, but I was wondering where I could gain good facutal info on modifying installs and such.. i only have experince in fixing my crappy car atm...

Thanks for any help and great job!! 8-)

Hi

Thanks mate :)

It's just a case of buying the bits and plonking them on. OK there's a bit more involvement with the mapping side of things but there are a few companies around that can help with that!

If you want to learn some general boost knowledge, I really like this site - http://www.max-boost.co.uk/max-boost/

It's not VW specific but the guy knows his stuff and talks at a level we can understand, it's well worth a read if you find the time!

Next on the list is to fit these 550cc Bosch EV14 injectors. Easily the best injectors on the market today...

Img_0063.jpg

..and here's why. They atomise right off the tip for a super fine spray :-)

Img_0061.jpg

And then Racelogic traction control. After last year's winter, it's really needed!! :-) Thanks to Vince we got 10% off!

Img_0062.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Made a bit more progress....

Downpipe's coming together. This is the shape you're aiming for with the ATP. From the top' date=' I used a tight 90, 30 degree section, then a 90 degree and finally a 3" Ilok flex. All from Jetex.

[img']http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x2/kevhaywire/ATP_downpipe1.jpg

ATP_downpipe.jpg

Kev, i know its an AGE ago... but is that definately 90, 30 then another 90? last piece looks too shallow, maybe a 60?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

[blockquote]any more updates??? loving the build!

have got myself a vr6 turbo engine, am collecting after xmas! cant wait [/blockquote]

excellent the more vrt's in the club the better,more knowledge floating about..

on another note whats the difference between standard management and this standalone thingy and if im running 440 injectors with a 255 walbro will i also need an uprated fpr?