My VR6 - engine swap and A/C fitting, in progress! Lot's of pics.

I thought I'd get some pics up of my VR6, I bought it a couple of months back cheap, as it has a seized engine - but had to sell my old car on to pay for the needed parts so it's been sat waiting for a while.

It's a 96 P, straight black VR - needs a bit of work here and there, but it seems to be a solid car.

The first change came with a set of Highline wheels, the standard BBS were fubard - kerbed, corroded and filthy, the Highline wheels are mint, just need a set of decent rubber and new badges.

The next change comes with bespoke fitting aircon, I bought all the parts, just need to get it all in!

And most importantly, a replacement engine. This came from an auto Sharan, so I know it's never been ragged! lol.

Fingers crossed we'll have the new engine in by Wednesday, most of the a/c bits are done, just the dash needs to be re-fitted.

I'll let the pics do the talking now!

As it came to me (after a clean, it was filthy!):

DSCF1684small.jpg

Started taking the engine out.

DSCF2363.JPG

DSCF2373.JPG

DSCF2375.JPG

We decided to drain the oil, as it was being transported in a mates van to our workshop. This is what we got!

DSCF2377.JPG

Got some oil coming out now!

DSCF2378.JPG

DSCF2381.JPG

My replacement engine, as it came

DSCF2334.JPG

Cleaned up and painted (more for longevity than asthetics)

DSCF2352.JPG

More clean parts

DSCF2361.JPG

I've actually started building the engine back up again, but not taken any pics yet!

Dash coming out for a/c airbox fitting

DSCF2346.JPG

A/C airbox

DSCF2347.JPG

Dash out, old airbox removed

DSCF2374.JPG

We had to remove the metal beam to fit the new airbox in, but here it is fitted. Beam is now back on, forgot to take a pic though.

DSCF2384.JPG

Cleaned engine bay, with new engine mounts

DSCF2386.JPG

As it currently sits

DSCF2382.JPG

Tomorrow we will have the dash back in, new clutch fitted and gearbox on the engine - ready for fitting Tues/Wed.

We get sooo many people asking about retro-fitting aircon to a Golf VR6 without. Most decide not to bother because they're not sure what's involved. Totally fair play to you for giving it a go, and sharing the details with us.

If you can post a fully illustrated guide to fitting aircon, including installing the compressor pump, evaporator, radiator, routing all the pipes through the bulkhead and doing the electrics, a year's free premium membership will be yours.

We get sooo many people asking about retro-fitting aircon to a Golf VR6 without. Most decide not to bother because they're not sure what's involved. Totally fair play to you for giving it a go' date=' and sharing the details with us.

If you can post a fully illustrated guide to fitting aircon, including installing the compressor pump, evaporator, radiator, routing all the pipes through the bulkhead and doing the electrics, a year's free premium membership will be yours.

[/quote']

Excellent, I'll take you up on that! I was about to sign up but I'll hold fire now.

I'll photograph every stage and get a guide written.

I'm about to pop down to VW and GSF for some bits!

We get sooo many people asking about retro-fitting aircon to a Golf VR6 without. Most decide not to bother because they're not sure what's involved. Totally fair play to you for giving it a go' date=' and sharing the details with us.

[/quote']

Excellent, I'll take you up on that! I was about to sign up but I'll hold fire now.

I'll photograph every stage and get a guide written.

I'm about to pop down to VW and GSF for some bits!

Good stuff!

Well I picked up my parts order from VW today (impressed, as their computer system went down whilst I was ordering yesterday, and they took all the details on paper!) along with the GSF parts I picked up yesterday - I think I have everything I need to get it on the road.

Got discs and pads all the way round - going to give the calipers a quick lick of silver paint. I also have the clips to get my door strip things back on. Plus new gasgets for the engine, so the exhaust and inlet manifolds can go back on.

Still waiting on the A/C rad and an A/C pipe though :-(

Cheers guys!

Work has been slow over the past week due to things getting in the way. But we're getting there. New front discs and pads are on, with silver calipers. The rear discs have new bearings ready to be fitted today/tomorrow. Engine is pretty much complete now, everything is on apart from inlet manifold and gearbox. It's got new gasgets and bolts, and a new clutch.

Fingers crossed the engine will be going in today! Pics later.

Just a quick update with some pics. Things are coming together, albeit slowly.

Engine about to go in the car

DSCF2402.JPG

It's actually cleaned up really well.

DSCF2406.JPG

In the car!

DSCF2414.JPG

Massive thanks to Phil (HiPurVR6) for the manifold, I will finish off the polishing as soon as I can ;)

DSCF2427.JPG

DSCF2429.JPG

Quick shot the interior, pretty much back together again. Full of stuff to go on the car!

DSCF2426.JPG

The rear caliper carrier bolt has been rounded off, we struggled for a while to remove it, and gave up. It's going to be angle grinded off tomorrow night, luckily we have a spare carrier and bolts from the mk2.

DSCF2409.JPG

New front discs and pads, with painted calipers. Much better.

DSCF2393_%28Small%29.JPG

Tomorrow and Wednesday night we need to fit the rear discs, pads and new splash guards, bleed the brakes, fill the coolent, prime the fuel pump, fit airbox, err, then maybe start it!

your missing the clip/bracket too hold the pads on the front calipers

I'm not missing them, they're just not on the car yet! Wheels need to come of so I can clean all the arches out before it's driven.

Well it's running, but it does seem to have some sort of misfire - got new plugs and leads on order, so hopefully that'll sort it.

We're going to remove the spare caliper carrier from the spare beam tonight, and get the interior back together. Then fit the rear brakes and blead them and the clutch tomorrow.

Saturday morning is cleaning time - ready for the MOT in the afternoon.

Cheers for all your comments guys!

Unfortunately, I decided to cancel the MOT - the car wasn't quite ready, and we would have been rushed off our feet to get it there.

It turns out the additional water pump had seized, so we had to swap that, plus the rear wiper motor doesn't work - but we don't have a spare.

But I am happy, it's all together and running well. The plugs and leads and throttle body alignment seem to have sorted the running issues we had - no faults in VAG-COM :)

Going to re-book the MOT for next weekend - then I can tax it for next month - seems a bit silly taxing it now!

Just took a few complete pics - after a polish, it's beading well. Apologies for the lack of grille etc - haven't got round to putting it back on yet. The front bumper is a mess too!

DSCF2433.JPG

DSCF2436.JPG

DSCF2434.JPG

DSCF2435.JPG