Driving along today with my stereo off(very unsual)& couldnt help but notice how bloody noisy it is, not air filter or exhaust sound i mean rattle/chain type sound! makes a kind of grinding sound around 2000rpm but okish throughout the rest of the rev range :-#

Before you all state the obvious like how much oil the car has in it i can say the oil was only changed 3000 miles ago which was the vw silver main dealer stuff & the car has only done 44,000 miles *-)

Noise is coming from the airfilter side of the engine, top of the head.

Yea think you guys are spot on, it coming from the small pully next 2 the alternater(tensioner i think, but it is dark) (s)

Has ne1 every changed 1 before & if so is it an easy job, need 2 get it done as its pi**in my life off big time :@

thanks for the rapid replys every1 :)

Easy to do just a pain in the a**e job because of the number of bolts / parts needed to be taken off to get to it. Wish you luck. I think there is a link on here somwhere talking about how to do it

Its piss easy!!!!!

1 bolt into the tentioner to release the tention on the belt then 3 bolts holding it to the head.

Its not a difficult job

Its not a pain in the arse

The tensioner is a piece of piss to change!!

1- Remove the air box

2- On the tensioner you will notice a threaded hole that looks like its got a bolt missing, when you buy the new tensioner from VW it should have the long 10mm bolt with it, use this bolt to slacken the tensioner.

3- Before the Auxillary belt is really slack and comes off all the other pulleys put a bungy cord from the belt and clip it to the underneath of your bonnet, this will keep the Auxillary belt in place and tight whilst you have the tensioner off.

4- Now completely slacken the tensioner by tightening the 10mm bolt up then undo the 3 bolts that connect the tensioner to the block and remove your knackered tensioner.

5- Take bolt out of knackered tesioner and put in new tensioner and do it up so that the tensioner isn't tense :)

6- Attach the new tensioner to the block with the 3 bolts.

7- Put the belt over the new pulley ensuring that its straight and all the ribs are sitting correctly. Throughout this process the bungy cord should have kept the auxillary belt tight so the belt shouldn't have moved on the other pulleys but just check that its sitting correctly anyway.

8- remove 10mm bolt which will tighten the tensioner, once tight remove bungy as its now redundant

9- check belt posistioned correctly.

10- Replace air box

11- Nail the siht out of it !!!

You can do this job in around 15mins with a t break.

I hope this guide helps

Dave