Does anyone have oil consumption problems with their VR? Have read on other forums that VW say that 1qt per 1000 miles is normal. To be honest i think this is bulls*$t. No engine should consume oil full stop. If i gave a customer back his engine and said 'oh, by the way expect to use a litre of oil every 1000 miles' i would not get any business.

Am i right with this or do VR's have an acceptable oil consumption figure?

Cheers

I don't think its so much of a problem as just another inherant VR-ism. It certainly does make a huge difference how hard you drive it though. When I potter around town it doesn't use much. I always keep a gallon of oil in the boot so i can top it up wherever I am as I'm on the motorway quite a bit. I have no oil leaks and get no puffs of smoke when starting up or under hard acceleration so I put it down to the fact that these babies run hotter than a lot of newer cars. That said, my mates 2002 Integra Type R uses more oil than my VR so maybe its a common trait on some high revving engines.

Kevin

Its true, every car uses oil, most will state a quantity per miles in the manual. Mine drinls oil, yet no smoke even when the mrs is ragging it, in front of me, and no leaks. Well there is now, but it was using it before that too. I would agree with a litre every 600-1000 miles. Yet I have had other cars that use none, I think mileage is a factor in consumption, but every engine will use it from the first time it fires.

Just to add to the debate and not an answer in any way.

I've had mine 3 years and the oil has never moved just hit 60.5k miles. I would expect there to be a little more usage on higher milage cars as those parts wear a little and tolerances become impacted etc. (which can, of course, be further affected by the life the engine has had. We all know sat on a motorway is better than a life of 3 mile sprints on a cold engine).

A VW mechanic m8 of mine once told me (a long time ago - so just take this as folk law) that the 4 cylinder engines/golfs were renouned for using some oil at around the 90k mark. But there was no issue they just did then would suddenly stop using oil! Perhaps it's as some else said just a trait of modern engines. Perhaps the exotic blends of componants/alloys/metals go through an absorption cycle or something. (I would add my classic cars have never used oil)

Though I must admit on a personal level if my car started to use any oil I would be looking to find the reason for it. just so I know if I have an engine rebuild or the likes coming my way.

Also what equates to an average value slightly over one litre per per month -(12000miles a year) would seem to be a lot of oil in my books to be putting into an engine and I would be looking for a leak or smoke, even though VW seem to satae this is acceptable.

Like I said this is just my opinion...

i've covered about 17k miles since Jan now, virtually all motorway miles and with some ragging it - i don't hang about.

i've stuck 1 litre of synta silver in the car since jan. no servicing or owt - can't afford it. VR still runs no problem.

duncs

I never even knew that we had an oil light i thought it just idicated pressure, just check it every week and you cant go wrong! My useage seems to have slowed up a hell of a lot since its service, and ive stopped running it on tesco super and am now using bp ultimate (ultimate price too!) i dunno if this would effect the useage??