I have a mate who has just bought a new Golf R32 - (Not sure how as he is a student) and obviuosly a touch jealous, although I would never swap my VR for an R32. All I want to know is how much quicker is the R32. I guess it will be quicker off the line due to 4-wheel drive, but what about accelaration between 60mph and 125mph?

Its a lot quicker than a standard VR. I test drove one a couple of months ago and was really impressed. Handles like its on rails and has brakes that require very little effort. It pulls unbelievebly in every gear as you would expect. The gear ratios mean that there is very little or no rev loss between changes and although I didn't get to 125 ;) lets just say it would have left my (standard-ish) VR easily. Not forgetting the bigger 3.2 24 valve lump. Its a beast!!!

Kevin

yep i own both and vouch for the comments above ... the r32 is just a totally different car ... however i have just as much fun in my debadged vr6 ... as most people think its an old 4 door golf not realising there is a 195 bhp engine in it ! on a private road called the m18 near me had some fun in r32 with a civic type r ... it was still pulling at 145mph when the honda just tailed off ... according to the speedo the most i ever got from the vr6 was 145mph though it took a while to build up that speed and i must admit was really having to hold the steering wheel ... in the r32 it was more effortless and to be expected from a newer car !

I would of been stupid for VW to make a newer car that was similar to the VR, so obviously it has to have more benefits, and going by the above posts it does. Still not keen on the style, but its one of those things that will grow im sure.

I have a mate who has just bought a new Golf R32 - (Not sure how as he is a student) and obviuosly a touch jealous' date=' although I would never swap my VR for an R32. All I want to know is how much quicker is the R32. I guess it will be quicker off the line due to 4-wheel drive, but what about accelaration between 60mph and 125mph?

[/quote']

just wondering..why wouldnt you swap a your vr for a r32? a 14k car for a vr6? id have one tomoorw if i could aford it

I've had 2 r32's and am on my second vr6, different cars really, i love the sound, seats and the steering wheel on the r32, bugged me that i couldnt leave it anywhere without worrying about it and the depretiation got on my nerves, vr6 is a nice quick car, no depreciation, can leave it anywhere without worrying and sounds nice with the bmc cda.

Performace wise theres not much in it, 0-60 my last vr (standard obdII) got 6.7 at inters and my last r32 i got 7.1.

Theyre both great cars and i guess it's just down to how much you want to spend or how much you can afford, the vr is fine for the moment :o)

Hows the new numberplate NiceVR6 ;o)

Power to weight they are about the same (the mk4 R32 is a fairly heavy car at about 1470kgs, the mk3 vr is 1170kgs). Obviously the gears and the four wheel drive make a difference in performance and handling, but mid range acceleration should be fairly similar if both cars are driven "properly". R32 looks far nicer though and very exclusive! Quarter mile times on paper seem fairly similar too for both cars.

I have a mate who has just bought a new Golf R32 - (Not sure how as he is a student) and obviuosly a touch jealous' date=' although I would never swap my VR for an R32. All I want to know is how much quicker is the R32. I guess it will be quicker off the line due to 4-wheel drive, but what about accelaration between 60mph and 125mph?

[/quote']

just wondering..why wouldnt you swap a your vr for a r32? a 14k car

for a vr6? id have one tomoorw if i could aford it

Dont get me wrong, if someone out there were willing to give me there R32 I would snap it up with both hands. But I do not have that kind if cash at the moment, and also depreciation is a factor. I bought my VR for 2750 one year ago. Ten years ago, the same car was bought for 22k, so I am thinking keep and enjoy the VR for a few more year, maybe mod it to get a few BHP out of her, then upgrade to an R32.

The other thing I love about the VR is that for less than 3grand I got a car which is quicker and better all round that most of the cars on the road. Which leads me to another questions. What do you think is the best car you can buy for 3 grand or less, that you would have over the VR.

I agree with you Macs. So many people seem to spend £5k on very bog standard cars who think they have more power than they do.

The mk4 R32 is apparently quite tunable, more so than the mk3 which I didn't know. Owners on the vwvortex forum have managed to get 230bhp at the wheels with just a cat back exhaust, cold air intake, and remap. Not sure what that equates to at the fly but must be at least 260-265bhp. Nice.

• 1 month later...

hi there matt yes very happy with the number plate thanks ! see lots of people looking at it and it adds a nice touch to the car ! i dont really want to get into the r32 vs vr6 debate .... they r both great cars in their own right - but u r absolutely right about leaving an r32 anywhere - there will always be someone out there to spoil your day !! ... overall the r32 is a great allround performer and most drivers seem to leave it alone when on the road ... the vr6 is a truly excellent car and now coz it looks old will surprise a lot of people ... the best cars tend to be 1.8T's or 2.0T's who seem to think their cars are so quick and will hate a 10 year old family hatchback matching / beating their performance !!!

my m8 has recently bought a R32, he reckons its 280 bhp?

i went out in it and yes it goes rnd corners like its on rails and pulls and pulls down straights, but i don't think its 280 tho, he says its been remapped and got different exhaust? would def get one tho if i had 18 grand to spare!! very nice drive..