6 branch manifolds

Was tempted by this myself at some point, a mechanic genius friend of mine said forget a schrick, get a s/s 6 branch, zorst and induction kit and you'll be looking good for less than the cost of a schrick. However, I now know why I NEED a schrick because the whole torque re-distribution thing...anyway, that aside I've also heard the 6 branch can sound odd and tinny as they use thinner grade s/s. As for power hikes, not sure. buy one and tell us ;-)

I have one and it has not given me any power increase - rolling road was done before and after. After 6 months mine got a slight blow in it - mine is "good" quality steel supposedly and not a cheap one. The cheaper ones will be far more prone to shearing/blowing. I also have uprated engine mounts flexi joints etc (everything that is recommended to prevent the s/s ex manis shearing) - didn't help at all - at some point it will get a blow ...just a matter of when. If I was doing it all again I would not do it... total waste of money mate. And yes they do sound tinny which is another negative, even more so when you get a slight blow. Most of the people on VWvortex say don't bother too, waste of money. Save your money to do something else instead.

OK so....... I did look at this ...I have a m8 who worked for Audi/VW and he has told me this (which I have had from other sources also).

As always feel free to tell me I'm wrong!!!

Yes you can get gains out of a performance 6 branch. It can also effect torque etc ... We all know this! I have always had manis fitted on my previous cars!

However there isn't the room to get the right config in the VW engine bay. For example the standard mani on the Audi gives more bhp than the golf.

Strain is placed on the joint because of - the angle of your dangle ;) - and that is why you get the cracks etc. (stainless doesn't flex as well as mild steel)! You do have to put race engine mounts on to stop the engine twist effect on the pipe (or bolt directly to the chasis. That, of course, creates other issues elsewhere).

In addition to that - the boys at VW didn't do a bad job as they engineered a good solution to a problem they had in the design process of the car. So gains are not normally massive.

If you are serious about them don't buy a cheap one or get one made to your spec - not always as bad as it sounds - and beat the car (with engine out) so it will fit as you want or need it to.

I can't comment on the sound effect once on the car - I have not heard one!

I hope that helps you and as I said at the start ladies and gents, please tell feel free to tell me I'm wrong as always.

Cheers

There are plenty of comments - for and against the manifolds on charged cars. I agree with the NA tuned issues but gains can be had with a charger in the mix.

I'm adding a full Milltek stainless decat on Saturday and will be bolting on the manifold soon after. My car made 260bhp with a standard manifold and exhaust with a crappy back box. Next RR I'll let you know if it makes a difference.