eip tuning series B turbo kit

no way just been on that website looking at what I can't have. lol

I would go for a supercharger kit for reliability and every day use but I don't think you can brake the 300 BHP that easily

Turbo's are great but that huge lump of power will stress parts more but getting over 300 BHP is a lot easier. As I've never driven a turbo VR6 I don't know if you lose the refinment from the silky smooth VR6

Just to throw something else into the mix you also have a supercharger called rotrex which can yield power up to around 500bhp now thats also something worth considering.

For that kind of power though i think i would stick to a supercharger as they seem to deliver power much smoother .

Another thing is that i dont think you can upgrade the series b kit all the way up to stage 6 better going for stage 1 of eip`s turbo kit if you want to go down the turbo road and get lots more crazy power.

Personally i have made up my mind on the rotrex option which seems to be the biggest inovation in forced induction for some time . Look into the rotrex , i`m sure you will be impressed and for between 400 and 500bhp i was quoted a supply price of 2359 quid which seems very good value to me and they have a lifetime guarantee.

Apparently mercedes use eaton superchargers which on the face of it look a good idea but only seem to give increases of between 30-40% more power.

Could`nt be bothered reading in depth so you might want to have a look yourself jim.

virgin

Speak to The Phirm mate. They have an EIP turboed vr6. Has approx 400bhp. Sam owns it and she says you don't lose any of the smoothness - exactly the same plus at 3000 revs all hell breaks loose :) and with lsd and / or quaif diff you will put the power down effectively. The kit comes with a thicker head gasket to lower the compression ratio to keep things reliable. The vr lump is strong enough to take a lot more power than 400bhp if the compression ratio is lowered.

A turboed car is in a different league to a supercharged car. The torque is normally far higher and greater power is achieved... obviously a turbo conversion is a lot more expensive and the kits sold in the US need converting to rhd cars as they are aimed at lhd cars.

As I've never driven a turbo VR6 I don't know if you lose the refinment from the silky smooth VR6

If its mapped right it drives lovley. If you drive mine gently you'd never know it was anythign other than a std vr apart from the extra power and the nice noises :)

Great :)

Tom

the vr6 lump can definately take the power increase aslong as it's in good shape. schimmel performance get crazy power by lowering compression with a thicker head gasket still with the standard pistons, and very good reliability, apparently. i think that the series B turbo kit from eip use such low boost that it is the same as a 6psi supercharger, i also think it looks very stealthy as you can't really see the turbo. all you can see from the front is the air intake.

kits sold in the US need converting to rhd cars as they are aimed at lhd cars.

Worth remembering. Most US turbo manifolds wont fit a LHD car. The EIP fits some UK cars depending what turbo you use, although it sits the turbo at a non horizontal angle which puts alot of stress on the thrust bearing and reduces the life of the turbo.

Works though.

Tom.

the vr6 lump can definately take the power increase aslong as it's in good shape. schimmel performance get crazy power by lowering compression with a thicker head gasket still with the standard pistons' date=' and very good reliability, apparently.[/quote']

Use ARP main studs, rod bolts and head studs, and a standard bottom end is good for 500bhp all day long.

Should cope with around 400 with stock bolts.

Tom.

A chap on the Corrado forum has the EIP series 1 kit with a T70 turbo and the manifold flange was in completely the wrong place for it, so had to get it modified. Other than that, it went on with no major issues and made 360whp with the stock MAF etc etc. Plenty more to come from that as yet, once he decides what management to use - Stock remap or standalone.

Schimmel will be branching out into the kit market soon and will be making some RHD specific kits. Yours truly will be helping out with the manifold development :-) So don't rush in and get the EIP is all I'm saying ;-) The quality of components Schimmel knock out are absolutely astounding, too nice to fit to a car!

Have people got experience of having 350bhp+ with standard bottom end?? Surely it would be wiser to load the bottom up if your thinking about massive power increases? Are blown pistons or snapped con rods common place? Also, what would be classed as a healthy VR engine?? I'm a mechanic so dont be shy. Cheers gents

Mine was running ~400hp with no problems. Am now heading past 500 with just arp hardware.

ARP rate VR rods with there bolts at 400whp. I have never bent a rod, neither have any of the cars I know of in the UK.

Basically i wouldnt flinch at driving a 400hp vr daily and giving it a hard life with a std bottom end. Much past that and it would be wise to strengthen it up a bit.

As long as your engine is running right and strong as it is it should cope with boost - although i would recomend changing the timing chains/guides/tensioner.

To put it in some perspective - 350 bhp is only about 0.8 bar of boost. Nothing like what youd need to run in a 1.8T to get that kind of power.

Tom.

People on the vwvortex forum run big power on there with no internal bottom end modifications. Stock bottom ends are very strong and engine failures are extremely rare - unless something else is very wrong, such as fuelling issues, pinking/detonation. With any forced induction modification a remap is vital to get the fuelling and air spot on. The VR6 engine is in fact far stronger than most Jap counterparts such as Imprezas which normally need internal engine mods to handle power over 300-350bhp reliably.

A healthy VR engine would be one that has a smooth power curve on a dyno and makes good standard power, full service history and always warmed up before taking it over 3k revs.

A chap on the Corrado forum has the EIP series 1 kit with a T70 turbo and the manifold flange was in completely the wrong place for it' date=' so had to get it modified. Other than that, it went on with no major issues and made 360whp with the stock MAF etc etc. Plenty more to come from that as yet, once he decides what management to use - Stock remap or standalone.

Schimmel will be branching out into the kit market soon and will be making some RHD specific kits. Yours truly will be helping out with the manifold development :-) So don't rush in and get the EIP is all I'm saying ;-) The quality of components Schimmel knock out are absolutely astounding, too nice to fit to a car!

[/quote']

you gonna tell us when they've done a kit?? i spoke to Sam @ the phirm and she said that the eip series b kit could be imported for £2210 +VAT. not right now but in the near future what about a group buy???

Thanks very much men. I've got to say, i'm surprised at the srength of the engine. Mine has done 100k and i never give it beans before oil temp hits 80, although i'm still a little worried about hitting 6k. It doesn't help being in the trade and seeing other people's misfortunes. Thanks again

Yeah I will keep you abrest of any kit developments from Schimmel. It won't be anything like as cheap as £2210+VAT though unfortunately, but it will be Garrett GT based though for good power and quick spool up. It's nothing in concrete at this stage, just something he mentioned to me during conversation.

The VR6 is a very tough engine, VW had diesel in mind when they designed it, so is relatively over-engineered to cope, but obviously the diesel VR never materialised. It can take a lot of boost so long as it doesn't see any detonation. Schimmel not only bores out his 2.8 blocks to 3.0 (thin bore walls), he also puts 40psi through them and they do the mileage no problem, aswell as the 1/4 mile track work.

As an example, he took a 40,000 mile stock 2.8 SLC Corrado. Fitted a head spacer, GT35R turbo, ARP bolts, DTA standalone and a couple of hours later it put down 500whp. Totally stock internals!

The only weakness of the VR relates to the head, they don't last much more than 80K - in terms of valve guide wear and the upper tensioner pads can wear through as early as 73K, but they've been replaced by better ones now.

So don't be afraid to boost the VR, it can take it :-)

Would you recommend a full overhaul of the head before i started modifying the stock engine, with boost or even minor components, such as cams, exhaust, de-cat, filter, re-map, lowering compression etc? My current engine has done 100k and i plan to do the chains soon so i figure i may do some valve work while i've got the head off.

Sorry if this is the wrong thread!!

I would fit some uprated the valve springs, the Schrick 268 ones are perfect for the job. Rest of the head is fine as it is. When you're exceeding 25psi, then you'll need to start looking getting more air in with larger valves, cams and flowing etc....but generally most restrictions in the intake can simply be overcome by turning the boost up a little to compensate.