long live the vr6 !!! .......

... 2nite had a little drive in me debadged highline and this car came right up me backside and was a mk4 golf ... initially i assumed it was an r32 but couldnt see it as was dark ... 2 cut 2 the chase (if you pardon the pun) ... this modded mk4 couldnt keep up by any stretch of the imagination ... when we reached the roundabout at the end of the dual carriageway the windows went down and the driver (trying to impress his 2 friends) said he couldn't believe how quick my car was ... he said his was a chipped 1.8T mk4 gti ... when i then saw them 10 minutes later after 1 junction on the m1 he again pulled alongside and just said he couldnt believe how quick my car was and he insisted i had chipped it !!! he couldn't believe it was just a standard vr6 with upgraded suspension ! what was nice aboutn this little story was that someone appreciated how quick it was without being clever and just wanted to know what car had out-done his modded mk4 - it gave me some faith in other vw drivers that if you do spank them theres some humour !!! his last comment was that mine was the only mk3 golf that had spanked him !!!! long live the vr6 !!!

mk4s are easy prey for a decent VR in my experience, i even got the disbalieving face from a mk5 Gti driver a few months back as i disapeared in the distance!!! and when he finally caught up (after i slowed down) gave a thumbs up! the old VR is still a force to be reckoned with, so many factors make it a better engine than waiting for a turbo to spool or trying to get anywhere near the torque from a 2 litre 4 pot, i saw off a 2.0 litre mk4 gti in my mk1 sportline cabriolet ffs, and thats about as aerodynamic as a house brick! mk4 non turbo is far too under powered to haul a mk4 body around! and embarasing to be badged a gti imo, didnt stop him trying it on though! must have been a shock getting done by a hairdressers car ;)

sure is mate - funnily enough i saw him again yesterday near sheffield when i was in my r32 ... he recognised me put his window down to say hi and mentioned again he couldnt believe the "mk3" was so quick ! .... then he tried to take on my r32 so i pulled away and strangely enough mid range the r32 left him for dead - but at least he is a good sport !!