Audio system overhaul, recomendations

Im planning on replacing the standard speakers in my cab and adding a sub or 2, but im unsure of what to look for in a system. im after sound quality not spl. im running the speakers from a 4x50w Dual Audio head unit, unless i can find a fairly small 4ch amplifier that i can squeeze behind the dash somewhere or in the floor (dont know if the cab has the hidden footwell yet)

im trying to keep the install as simple, and OEM as possable, so was jst going to fit a component set in the dash/front doors, and a full range set in the rear cards. then maybe 2x 10" subs, or 1x 10" and 1x 8" in the boot (havent decided on design yet for the boot as its an odd shape)

im just after recomendations of speakers and amps at the moment, so any help would be appreciated. im looking at a budget of about £600 thanks.

imho youd be better running stock speakers (or cheaper upraded) and running them from an amp than blowing all the budget on top end speakers and running them from the head unit.

as for subs 10 and 8" subs will be very punchy rather than deep booming bass if punchy is what your looking for how about a goood set of 6x9s or 7x10s in a stelth shelf (replaces parcel shelf looks tottally stock) and also frees your boot up slightly odd ball ideas what dya think?

I'd agree with Eat this above. You'd be better getting a good amp and running the stock speakers than running good ones off the H/U. I'm running a JL 10" sub with an Alpine V12 amp. Also running MB Quart components up front and stock speakers in the rear with another Alpine V12 amp.

The JL sub is great, and the Alpine amps sound really good. The MB Quart components up front are a little bright, so can't recommend them.

I have 2 Alpine V12s sat in bedroom waiting to go in car. Plus Alpine CDA9855R and JL Audio XR650CSI components to go in as well' date=' plus a Alpine sub in the shed collecting dust.

Hopefully in the new year it will be in the car

[/quote']

thats is going to sound lovely when you install it mate.

• 2 weeks later...

Golden Rule... Sound quality is only as good as its source

Id go for a pionner head unit with 3 preouts (front, rear and sub) components front and rear and something like a vibe sub with its own amp built in. Should be able to sort that in the january sales for £600...Also ICE dealers in my experience are robbing bastards who put a huge mark up on and try their luck (just ordered off t'internet for £200 less than local dealer!) pick out what u want and ask for a package deal and haggle, bet u they drop a fair bit!!

Basically just run the speakers of the head unit as it is reasonably loud and us the sub preout to run the sub as on the pioneers the have built in cross overs that u cant switch on

http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/4755.html recommended unit (i just ordered him myself)

http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/2923.html decent sub/amp

http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/3830.html INFINITY COMPONENT SPEAKERS £45!! fit in original positions (with a bit of magic with a file and hot glue gun u can even use original tweeter positions)

That lot is basically what I would have a look at for the sort of money you want, and plenty of spec there for expansion in the future if you fancy it, very easy to fit and set up, and will sound good straight away, not massivly loud, but you will have the sound quality in the car and from outside it will look standard

well ive just ordered myself a few bits, well in fact most bits lol. ready for a full overhaul when i change my interior this week. heres my bits n bobs all being run from a dual av XDVD8182 head unit.

xdvd8182.jpg

SPL Dynamics front and rear components and mids

b_sd62.jpg

b_sd61.jpg

run from an FLI 800s 4ch amp

FLIAUDIO-LOADED800S.jpg

then to the rear, 2 10" vibe black air II subs

b_blackair210.jpg

run at 2 ohms from a vibe slick A7 monoblock amp

VIBE-SLICK-A7.jpg

speakers from car audio direct, and amps from car audio and security. both online, and all for a good price. around £520 all in including postage. and i have an array of cabling kicking about anyway, so should be ok for that. may just need a couple of fuse holders and fuses. what do you think.

imho youd be better running stock speakers (or cheaper upraded) and running them from an amp than blowing all the budget on top end speakers and running them from the head unit.

as for subs 10 and 8" subs will be very punchy rather than deep booming bass if punchy is what your looking for how about a goood set of 6x9s or 7x10s in a stelth shelf (replaces parcel shelf looks tottally stock) and also frees your boot up slightly odd ball ideas what dya think?

I'm no audio expert but how is amplifying a crap set of speakers going to make them sound any better?! In my experiences running a half decent set of components from the head unit will sound a million times better than amplifying a crap set of standard speakers

I'm no audio expert but how is amplifying a crap set of speakers going to make them sound any better?! In my experiences running a half decent set of components from the head unit will sound a million times better than amplifying a crap set of standard speakers

yep agree with binliner

yep agree with binliner

iv done it i had stock speakers running from a good head unit then a ran them off a half decent amp there was a night and day diffrence then i bought infinity reference components which were obviously alot better i then decided to test it out so i ran stock speakers off the amp and good speakers from the head unit and the stock speakers on the amp were louder AND cleaner/crisper than good speakers running from the head

obviously the best combo is good speakers + amp but if you can only get 1 or tother get the amp

well another little update, iva managed to bag 2 pairs of Infinity Kappa 65.7cs components, so im getting rid of the spl dynamics, just hope the inifintys turn up quickly. and ive opted out of the fly amp, as im getting a vibe a3 when theyre released on the 16th january, so might have to make do with an splx amp for now for the comps. lol.

im all wired in now, and soundproofed up, so im doing ok on that front. just waiting on equipment now lol. think ill tackle my ecu harnes, needs redoing but ive been dreading it (im running an emerald ecu for those who dont know already)