Things to do before a trip to the ring.....

Ok I am going to be taking my first trip to the ring in april next year and my car is going into the garage in jan/feb time to have some bits done and I was going to get them to do a few bits with the ring in mind. Here is a list of things I am getting done but can anyone think of anything else from experiance that I may also want to look at getting done ?

1. Coilovers

2. Full Poly Bushes

3. New brake fluid

4. Red stuff pads as apposed to my current green stuff.

5. >>?

Any other ideas/suggestions ?

Thanks !

Mark.

Well I was going for the Red stuff as I have experianced slight fade with my current green stuff when braking hard.... Also when I was getting them I was told that Red stuff was best as the VR is front end heavy....?

I will see how much is left on the pads and see if it's worth changing them atall...

Hopefully it will also have a new clutch as although this one does not seem to slip so much after the pod it does still smell so it's got to be slipping a little...

Mark.

I dont find the ring too bad on brakes - my last 2 trips were with standard discs and green stuff pads and they didnt fade once, its not a hard braking kind place really not compared to a normal trackday anyway but I kinda know the bends so dont tend to use the brakes as much :0)

Most important thing you can take to the 'ring on your first visit is a boot full of respect for the place and concentrate on learning the track instead of worrying about brake pads.

Oh, and make sure you have breakdown cover!

It is an awesome place, you'll love it!

A few uk reg mk3 VRs turned up at the hotel we stayed (the one near the castle) in May, anyone off here?

We were in blue R32 and white mk1 Golf.

Agreed' date='

Your first trip there you shouldn't be hammering your car round, you'll only crash it.

[/quote']

And if you do crash, its not only your car you'll be paying out for - they charge you to recover your car from the ring, u have to pay for any broken/damaged barrier they even charge you for grass! An off will cost you around a grand (if you do it properly ha ha)

no i agree, but imho, as i do track days, i like to no , ican can stop when i want, and the car handles how i like. but as has been said before, treating the ring with repect, is what will get you around with no problems.

Coaches ?

Really ?

lol, sounds fun !

I decided against tha Brake hoses as I don't think they will be needed, green stuff pads will stay to unless they need changing anyway....

Coilies and Bushes were in the planning anyway and I have the parts...Just waiting to get them fitted.

Only thing I will do that I would not have normally done I think is new brake fluid :-)

Also not going to drive it like a cock. It's just for the experiance more than anything. Will probably follow an old lady around for a few laps and enjoy the scenery with a cheese sandwich in hand and a bag of crips and a can of coke nestling by my nuts..... ;-)

Mark.

its an amazing track mate,as long as you drive with your head you will be fine,just take it from experience do not try to chase any of the regulars there,i had my ass handed to me lap after lap by an old 1.7 alfa,with std sus and wheels,when i had my 170 bhp williams that was doin a 13.8 q mile!

they say at the ring knowledge is worth 150 bhp

they say at the ring knowledge is worth 150 bhp

Thats bang on mate. i managed to overtake various expensive machinery which then got my ar5e kicked by a local in an 8v mk2, just couldn't keep up.

The main thing to watch is some of the off-camber bends cos they'll upset the car real quick.

I drove through Adeneux (not sure of spelling!) there is a VW garage should you need anything, worth brushing up on your german though:

krackensplitzhenfukt...