Speed Power and all things nice

Just been reading through a couple of threads in the forum on various cars the VR6 has beat.

I find it hard to belive that an m3 would get smoked of a Vr6 and i find it hard to belive that a vr6 can hold its own against a clio 182 or a civic type r or a st225.

My friend has a seat leon cupra r 225 and i cant get close to him at all we done tests with him and me in second at 50 then florring it up through the gears and he just left me and i have a friend who has a puegeot 206 gti 180 and its faster than mine even after farious trials side by side. you might laugh but the power to weight ratio sneaks up again it makes me feel sad because i love my car bu i need a vortech to be better

I have a VR6 Higline with cat back exhaust and bmc cda filter and have to say the engine note is the sweetest i have ever heard but its not as fast as people make it out to be, i think we should all save up and supercharge to see the real benifits.

I doubt it would hold it's own against an M3 but the other cars you mention there would not be much in it at all, in fact I would say the only car to give it a good run woulf be a Civic Type R....

I raced a m8 of mine in one a while ago and there was not to much in it, he was pretty suprised.

What you have to remember is the VR pulls hard all the time where alot of these other cars have to be within a certain rpm range to have any effect, once the drop from this range that is where the VR can gain some.

Sure it's heavy but then it's built better than comparable cars to ! If I had to crash I would rather it in a VR than some french of Jap tin can.

Like you say though..... Add a charger ;-)

Mark.

If your having trouble against the 206 180 then i think you need to get the car looked at, get it hooked up to vag com and /or put on a rolling road.

Dont take this as having a go but a healthy highline (OBDII) with your mods should be close to 190bhp. And pretty much the only cars bar the M3 which should give to a hard time are the LCR and CTR.

trust me ive wasted loads of cars. cars like a type R or 182 are quick from standing start, but on a big open road a lightly modded VR will have the upper hand.. ive raced both and neither beat me..a VR isn't the fastest car on the road by any means, but it can hold its own against most hot hatches, and there isn't many that sound like it either!

Agreed - I see these posts all the time I just choose to ignore them because I know what my car can smoke and what it cant - a VR6 might have 190ish Bhp but how much does it weight compared to a 206 etc! VR6's arent the fastest cars on the road but can be quick with a bit of tuning. I'd much rather drive my VR6 than a 206 etc tho :-p

If your having trouble against the 206 180 then i think you need to get the car looked at' date=' get it hooked up to vag com and /or put on a rolling road.

Dont take this as having a go but a healthy highline (OBDII) with your mods should be close to 190bhp. And pretty much the only cars bar the M3 which should give to a hard time are the LCR and CTR.

[/quote']

What are the LCR & CTR? Civic Type R?! *-)

A highline engine is no different to any other OBD2 engine.

if you're that worried about it maybe you should of bought another car? or save another grand and super charge it.

Does it really matter that some horrible little french tin can car can beat you??wait and see how well it lasts the test of time... If you really want to go quick with out going the jap or french tat route you need a kit car and some kind of 2.0lt engine. I had a Dutton melos (like a ugly caterham 7) with a Cough *fiat* cough, strada abarth engine. 2.0lt twin cam 8v around 130bhp and enough to scare almost any car of the line and up to 100 but my god you never want to crash in it - just like the nasty little french cars

PUG 206 GTI180

Production 1 Jan 2003 until now

Length 3822 mm

Width 1673 mm

Height 1433 mm

Weight 1125 kg

Fuel Delivery Multi point fuel injection

Transmission Manual

Gears 5 Speed

PerformanceEngine Size 1997 cc

Cylinders 4

0-60 mph 7.5 s

Power Output 180 bhp

Valves 16

Torque 202 Nm 152 lb-ft

Top Speed 137 mph

VR

1 Feb 1992 to 21 May 1998

Length 4020 mm

Width 1710 mm

Height 1405 mm

Weight 1155 kg

Fuel Delivery Injection

Transmission Manual

Gears 5 Speed

PerformanceEngine Size 2792 cc

Cylinders 6

0-60 mph 7.1 s

Power Output 174 bhp

Valves 12

Torque 235 Nm 173 lb-ft

Top Speed 142 mph

CIVIC TYPE R

Production 1 Jan 2003 to 6 May 2003

Length 4140 mm

Width 1695 mm

Height 1420 mm

Weight 1204 kg

Fuel Delivery Multi point fuel injection

Transmission Manual

Gears 6 Speed

PerformanceEngine Size 1998 cc

Cylinders 4

0-60 mph 6.6 s

Power Output 197 bhp

Valves 16

Torque 196 Nm

Top Speed 146 mph

LEON CUPRA R

1 Sep 2002 to 1 Aug 2003

Length 4184 mm

Width 1742 mm

Height 1439 mm

Weight 1376 kg

Fuel Delivery Turbo injection

Transmission Manual

Gears 6 Speed

PerformanceEngine Size 1781 cc

Cylinders 4

0-60 mph 7.0 s

Power Output 210 bhp

Valves 20

Torque 270 Nm 199 lb-ft

Top Speed 147 mph

BMW M3 (e36?)

1 Mar 1996 to 1 Jan 1998

Length 4433 mm

Width 1698 mm

Height 1365 mm

Weight 1535 kg

Fuel Delivery Injection

Transmission Manual

Gears 6 Speed

PerformanceEngine Size 3201 cc

Cylinders 6

0-60 mph 5.3 s

Power Output 321 bhp

Valves 24

Torque 350 Nm 258 lb-ft

Top Speed 155 mph

the m3 is a diffrent class a stockish vr would NOT beat an m3 in any situation

one thing that STILL confuses me is the fact that EVRYIONE seems to think the vr weighs 3 tons it just doesnt its even 50kg lighter than the relatively stripped out civic lol

intersting postd,good to read

my ten pence is this

while we all do have races from time to mine,what people do tend to forget is the situation: ie the car,condition,driver skill/road knowledge,etc etc

now iv raced 'faster' cars as the ones mentioned and iv won and beaten by simalar cars,also bear in mind too that my car looks std and im 26 bhp over std so ur never quite sure what ur racing

im confident i can get 0-60 in mine it 6.52 as this is my average time tried with my g-tec with a q mile time of 15.3@97mph

another good point is this morning i out dragged a new golf gti from standing start and from rolling from 60 mph,and last week i couldnt get past an old 2.0 turbo rover vitesse,were they modded? were they a bad example of the breed? who knows,all i know is it is fun beating 'faster' cars,but always bear in mind they guy next to you might not be trying......

still fun tho :)

Thats about right for the 0-100 time. Not sure what a standard golf does it in but a standard corrado VR6 does 0-100 in 17.7 as tested by autocar. What did u use to time it?

I just used my casio G-shock almost hit 100 in 3rd i reckon i could i also had my work gear in the boot but this would only drop hundreths of a second nothing worth talking about.

If you go on the http://www.letstorquebhp.com/fwd.asp website it puts us about mid table with some good hot hatches the one that suprised me the most was the Astra GTE thats a car from the 80's still cutting the mustard, unreal lol

A friend of mine is selling his Clio Williams. He is open to offers. It's an M-reg version 2 I believe, slightly over 100k miles (not sure exactly) on the clock which is average. Very well looked after etc etc. Only modification is a K&N induction kit and full Magnex s/s system, oh and 17" gold wheels as opposed to the smaller ones. I can find out more if anyone is interested?