Uprated rear engine mount anyone?

Heres something else we have been playing with - An uprated rear engine mount.

Not a new idea, uprated mounts are currently available from Vibratechnics etc, but are £100+

This one is a little more economical.

Heres the original rubber VW mount:

oemmount.JPG

Our uprated, stiffer mount:

newmount.JPG

The new mount is stiffer and more solid that the VW one. It stops the engine moving around so much. This puts all the torque to the wheels and doesnt waste some moving the engine.

Extra power and torque produced by uprated and transplanted engines wont destroy the mount like they can with stock ones.

Also for SC and Turbo cars, as the mount reduces movement, it therefore puts less stress on flexible joints on boost pipes on a intercooled car, with stock engine mounts if you grab your engine you can move it from side to side, and back and forth, with this mount you cannot.

This is also ideal for those of you with 6 branch manifolds as less movement means its less likely to crack.

We have found this to be the critical mount. It makes the most difference to the movement of the engine, and replacing this one alone creates no real increase in vibration in the car.

Both the mounts together:

bothmounts1.JPG

The orignal mount has the extra cup underneath to house the large rubber inner, this is not required with our mount so this is how it actually sits compared to the stock one:

bothmounts2.JPG

For those of you with mk2 conversions, if you need the engine sat a little further back for better clearence we can make you a shorter mount.

If anyones had there mount out before, you will notice that the engine bolt is nearly always bent. For this reason we will supply the mount with a new VW bolt, and also 2 new bolts to secure the mount to the subframe.

For those reducing weight, this mount weighs just under 1KG, the stock one weighs 2KG. We have used aircraft grade 6082-T6 aluminium to get it strong and lightweight.

Fitment is easy with a trolly jack and socket set. Undo all three bolts and jack the engine up, remove the stock mount, and replace.

We would be looking to sell this for £55 with the bolts.

Anyone interested in this?

Tom.

In the words of Hong Kong Fuey ..... Mmmm Could be .... ;)

I Will be fitting my new s/c in the coming month so was gonna replace engine and gearbox mounts.... got my quote from Vibra and thier recomendations as follows:

We make both Fast Road and Competition mounts but some people prefer to use Comp mounts on the road - and put up with the extra harshness. However what we have found is that VR6 is not too harsh with a Comp front mount. Stealth regularly fit Comp front mounts to VR6's. Therefore we would suggest using a Comp front mount (especially in view of the mod you are intending to carry out) with Fast Road mounts at the rear and gearbox end. Part Nos. and prices for Mk3 mounts : -

Font mount VAG960MX £137.09

RH Rear mount VAG885M £65.67

LH G/Box mount VAG875m £67.16

Prices are plus carriage and VAT

By quoting your VR6OC code you can get 15% off these prices.

Any comments Gents??

Ibivr....You just got the one type and how goes the harshness aspect etc?????????

Hmm interesting. I'm with you RCF - just in the process of making the S/C or T/C leap and pricing up the options.

Engine mounts are essential - nuff said. Interesting what Kevhaywire reckons on this. He rates vibras on the fronts but kept with a MK3 rubber Tdi on the rear to eliminate some harshness.

On the mounts Tom - yes very interested especially when compared with Vibra.

Cheers

Ours is more similar to Vibratechs competition mounts. Not bad pricing on that quote RCF, they've dropped them a touch. Ours is still cheaper mind, and we include bolts and delivery :)

If I was just changing 1 mount, it'd be a stiff rear mount and leave the others stock - its what I do so its where we started. We are also working on the front mount to - it'll be in the region of £70-80.

Thanks for the interest again - rear mounts available V soon, front mounts i'll keep you informed..

Tom.

Hmmm, looks to be a copy of the Vibra mount and looks like it will fail in the same way the Vibras do too. Did you bond the rubber to the 'cup' under the alloy block?

RCF's post above says it all. VT comp for the front and fast roads for the rear and gearbox. It is the rear mount that introduces harshness as it's not isolated from the subframe like the front mount is. I used to use the TDI solid rubber box mount but they don't last too long. Vibras throughout now. Put the comps on all round last week but going back to fast roads!!

I would also reinforce the rear two engine mount cups with some extra metal and welding. The rear one shears off eventually, even on standard engines. With turbo torque, you are putting a heck of a lot of strain on the rear mountings and eventually the subframe cup will snap off.

The bottom section of the mount is designed for loading of 2 tons so is fine - Way over the OEM spec. nearly 20k of 500bhp miles on mine now - holding up just fine :) You should retain the heatshield that covers the OE mount, if not then the heat could be affecting the rubber on the VT ones?

As I said before, If I was just changing one mount it would be a stiffer rear, which is why we have started with this one. For those replacing all of them then we can do a softer version of the rear mount to compliment a stiffer front if you wish.

Rears will be ready V soon and I'll now offer a softer version too.

I've never had a prob with the cups on the subframe. Maybe worthwhile, but to be fair its an uprated engine mount, not an uprated subframe... ;)

Thanks for your input!

Tom.

The front mount is isolated from the chassis by 2 rubber donuts at each end of the X member, so you can afford to go stiff on that one. The rear mount, if too stiff, will transmit a lot of harsh vibration into the cabin. I've tried them all, VT, VF poly, modified standards etc etc and I've found the VT (or maybe Tom's potentially) fast road spec to be a good compromise.

I'm not saying every subframe cup will shear off, but if you look at the quality of VW's welding (i.e lack of) and the guage of the steel, they can and do snap off over time, especially if weakened by rusting. I've seen it happen. I'm not taking any chances ;-) Increase the force pushed onto the subframe with a stiffer mount and you increase the chances of this happening. The forces not absorbed by a squashy OE mount have to go somewhere.....

Gearbox mounts are critical for a quality shift too, but again, go too stiff and it's transmission whine central.....but it does sound cool with over tones of turbo whistle and wastegate chatter :-)

Good skills on a decent looking mount anyway, good price too....

oo, nasty. Any idea what caused that, how many miles on it etc?

Thans for the info Kev, We will now also offer a slightly softer mount more akin to VT's fast road spec.

Front mounts we'll be getting on with soon, followed by the gearbox mounts.

Thanks all,

Tom.

• 2 weeks later...