hey all i need advice on where to go next on power, so far i have full st steel exhaust, de cat pipe, raceland manifold, viper induction kit, set of mega leads, fse fuel regulator, where next? i want a chip but im in lincoln and cant find any one close to wear i live that do this!

chip or remap would be next on my book . is yours obd1? then get a corrado 2.9 Tb slightly large bore slight gain . thats really the last of the cheap power mods from here on it gets pricey .

cams , port n polish , throttle bodies , supercharger , maybe even a turbo :) list goes on really need to set your self either a bhp aim or a budget :)

hope this helps

Liam :)

If you have an OBD2 then don't bother with a chip/remap. Your ecu is very advanced and you will make virtually zero increase in power. Best of getting some decent second hand cams (I bought my Eurospec ones from a member on here) and you will gain 10-15bhp. Get Eurospec or Shricks as they give a very good even power spread, as opposed to leaving all the power high up the rev range. Then get a remap after the cams are fitted - vital to get the fuelling spot on. Stealth's full remap is the same price as a chip but far better as its custom suited specifically to your own car to get the most from your mods. Good luck mate.

I agree. NS Racing do second hand chargers for around the £1k mark (for a ZR2, don't get the earlier ZR1 as they have belt problems), bear in mind you will need a £300 remap at Stealth following this to get it all complete. Very good bargain in my opinion. Whereas you're looking at £2.5k - £3k min to get a brand new set up.

Most mods are a waste of money, get a supercharger and have it mapped at the same time and be done with it, this will give you around 40% more power and will keep your car reliable, anymore power than that is a waste of time anyway as you'll never put it down without 4wd and traction control. Larger throttle bodies, larger intake manifolds without forced induction will lose you bottom end, which personally i wouldn't want to do, read the 'manifold trickery thread'.

Spend the rest of your money detailing and suspension, uprated clutch and get your chains done.

Just my thoughts anyway, good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Dave

ummmmmmmmmm 320bhp, its all about throttle control....

Does this mean you cant put your foot down because theres too much power for a fwd car.??

If so i think that clarifies my point.

When the VXR astra with 250bhp was released and reviewed on top gear they said that top engineers said that 250bhp is the maximum power for a fwd car, other than that its unuseable and they even said the Astra was overpowered.

My point is that its not difficult to get alot of power out of an engine, the difficult and clever part is putting it on the ground. This is why cars like 911 turbos cost so much money.

Dave

ummmmmmmmmm 320bhp' date=' its all about throttle control....

Does this mean you cant put your foot down because theres too much power for a fwd car.??

When the VXR astra with 250bhp was released and reviewed on top gear they said that top engineers said that 250bhp is the maximum power for a fwd car, other than that its unuseable and they even said the Astra was overpowered.

My point is that its not difficult to get alot of power out of an engine, the difficult and clever part is putting it on the ground. This is why cars like 911 turbos cost so much money.

Dave

[/quote']

yes i can put my foot down but if i stamp on the throttle in 1st gear whilst lockin the steering over on a wet road obviously it wont like it

a rwd porsche wont like it either but i agree its a far better engineered car

Dave

[/quote']

yes i can put my foot down but if i stamp on the throttle in 1st gear whilst lockin the steering over on a wet road obviously it wont like it

911 Turbos are 4wd.

Dave

[/quote']

911 Turbos are 4wd.

plenty of 911s are rwd

Dave

[/quote']

911 Turbos are 4wd.

plenty of 911s are rwd

Yes they are but 911 turbos are 4wd! lol.

Any front wheel drive car is going to light up if you bury the throttle at launch.

In 3rd, 4th etc... Is when the power is more useable and you can bury the throttle and get the power down.

All these 4WD cars have some kid of traction control so they can get off the line to. This is the same as using your own foot to control the throttle with the exception that a computer does all the work for you.

Mark

Ok, but at the end of the day 4wd will give better traction than a fwd car regardless of whether it has got traction control or not.

i own a VR and i love it so i'm not slagging them off, i'm just saying that there is a limit to how much power you can efficiently put through a fwd car, and if you have to have a device to stop power(traction control) then effectively its got too much power for the chassis dynamics and traction caperbility of that particular vehicle.

As they regularly say "Getting loads of power out of a engine is the easy bit, putting it down is a whole different ball game."

I would say that stage1 supercharger kit for a VR is spot on.

I dont want to argue just having my opinion, good luck with whatever people decide to do.

Dave

Totally true. Some of the range are 4wd - the turbo and carrera 4... the rest are rwd. My boss at work as a Carrera 2 ..very nice car. I actually had a chance to drive it today... only round the car park though!

The chains need to be replaced as well as the tensioners as they are prone to stretching and do occasionally snap. Just replacing the tensioners would be asking for trouble. Someone on here had a chain snap.. end of engine there and then.

Ok' date=' but at the end of the day 4wd will give better traction than a fwd car regardless of whether it has got traction control or not.

i own a VR and i love it so i'm not slagging them off, i'm just saying that there is a limit to how much power you can efficiently put through a fwd car, and if you have to have a device to stop power(traction control) then effectively its got too much power for the chassis dynamics and traction caperbility of that particular vehicle.

As they regularly say "Getting loads of power out of a engine is the easy bit, putting it down is a whole different ball game."

I would say that stage1 supercharger kit for a VR is spot on.

I dont want to argue just having my opinion, good luck with whatever people decide to do.

Dave

[/quote']

nowt wrong with opinions mate ;)

i agree to a point but its all about where you draw the line bhp has bugger all to do with traction its torque coupled with gear ratios and just as importantly the shape of the torque graph that makes the diffrence between steaming up the road in a controled manner and having to baby the throttle all the time

i consider mine very good when it comes to traction in the dry (still want a diff though hehe) iv got 275 lb ft peak torque but it comes in very smooth and gradual like a ski slope wheras a turbo the same bhp would have around 300-320 lb ft and most likely make that peak just after it spools up ie itl go from around 150-160 lb ft to 300+ in around 1 sec thats a hell of an increase and itl give major problems if u just plant it and sit there