Right, ive had this problem for a long time now, it doesnt seem to be getting worse, and i went through the MOT fine. But basically i sometimes get some juddering in the brakes @ low speed.

There is a thread on Edition 38 which is now 4 pages long about it and nobody has a solution, does anyone know wtf could be wrong?!

Linky linky

http://www.edition38.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=79346

Just read the Ed38 thread as my 16ver has started doing it. Just in time for it's trip to the 'Ring :S

Something that hasn't been mentioned is a bad earth. My wiring diagrams are at work so I can't check if the ABS ECU shares an earth or has it's own dedicated one, but it certainly could explain every ones symptoms.

sounds like the tc maybe kicking in

Traction Control is only present on early OBD1's ABS systems IIRC

And wasn't at all on GTis. But I'd agree it did feel like TC; the pedal didn't kick back as much as full ABS operation.

The ABS ECU does have a dedicated earth, to somewhere on the engine block. I'm gonna make sure it's good and clean tonight and then go out and try to replicate my problems ;-)

sounds like the tc maybe kicking in

Traction Control is only present on early OBD1's ABS systems IIRC

And wasn't at all on GTis. But I'd agree it did feel like TC; the pedal didn't kick back as much as full ABS operation.

The ABS ECU does have a dedicated earth' date=' to somewhere on the engine block. I'm gonna make sure it's good and clean tonight and then go out and try to replicate my problems ;-)

[/quote']

Keep us informed mate, it may be worth me cleaning up the ground contact but I dont know where it is. :-)

I had this problem on my CC GTI, it turned out to be a stone in the front drivers ABS ring, every now and then it thought the brakes were locking up so put the ABS on. As soon as I removed it, the sender went on that side too??!! After replacing and cleaning the the front sensors and rings it was fine.

I know what you mean about the judder, it wasn't as harsh a kick back on the pedal as you would normally get and it came on at low speeds when pulling up to juctions etc . some times the warning light would come on and others it would be fine, mine failed the MOT for this though.

[blockquote]Traction Control is only present on early OBD1's ABS systems IIRC[/blockquote]

My car's an R plate vr6 and it's got it, and it's crap.

I'm also having ABS problem light's on 90% of the time, then every now and then the pump makes a noise and it go's off .

Bee..

hi all, i don't have the juddering brakes but while on the topic of abs system, my abs light comes on every now and again and flashes, if i turn the ignition off and back on it goes out, but the other day i tried the brakes and the front passenger wheel locked up, the light wasn't on at the time, any ideas?? i thought that maybe it was just a dodgy sensor but not so sure now

[blockquote]Traction Control is only present on early OBD1's ABS systems IIRC[/blockquote]

My car's an R plate vr6 and it's got it' date=' and it's crap.

I'm also having ABS problem light's on 90% of the time, then every now and then the pump makes a noise and it go's off .

Bee..

[/quote']

How do you know that you have got it? All literature about the different ABS systems says that the early system had traction control and the later one does not.

the traction control only works under 25 mph its a waste of time to be honest . the only time you will notice it is on light throtle turning out of a junction in the wet maybe . its so easy to override as it is not linked to the throttle like new cars . if your abs light is coming on then go get it code read there will be a non present code stored in the ecu , this will atleast point you in the right direction . mk3 sensors are a known problem the sensors housing corrodes crushing the sensor causing all sorts or problems . but it could be a number of things .