Can you recommend brake discs / pads?

I've just had the VR6 serviced and the advice was that the discs and pads were two-thirds worn all round. I'm going to the Nurburgring next month and hope to do another track day in the UK too so I thought I'd use this opportunity to upgrade the brakes at the same time.

I need the brakes to still work well on the road too because most of the miles it covers are road miles.

Has anyone got experience of upgrading and able to make any recommendations?

I haven't got a huge budget so I'm looking for a balance between upgrade over standard, and cost.

German & Swedish do 'Performance' drilled discs £90 and Performance Pads (Pagid) for £40ish for the front. Does anyone know how these compare to German and Swedish supplied standard equipment / EBC / Black Diamond etc?

I've heard good things about Mintex 1144 pads but then they're about £100 just for the pads (!) - is it worth paying the extra??

Thanks for the advice people. In the end I've ordered Zimmerman Drilled discs and EBC Greenstuff pads for the front, and standard discs with standard Pagid pads for the rear (and new rear wheel bearings) all from German and Swedish. I went for this kit because of the recommendations and should give me increased braking performance over standard and was the cheapest I could find.

That said - there was some cheaper kit on ebay, but didn't want to take any risks on quality because brakes are pretty important!!!

I'm getting it all fitted next week - will let you know what I think of it all.

FYI - it came to £280 incl Vat & Delivery and that ALSO included new HT leads.

• 3 weeks later...

Brakes have had time to bed in now and I'm happy with the results.

They definitely feel better than the previous, standard, setup - and were the cheapest 'upgrade' available, i.e. front Zimmerman drilled discs and EBC Greenstuff pads were about £130 from German and Swedish (without the 10% discount as I ordered about a week before the club discount was announced!!)