The Ibiza VR6 Turbo is dead, long live the Rallye VR6 Turbo! - New Pics

After a couple of years of abuse, the Ibiza was starting to look a little past its best. No longer looking at all as good as it used to, and with a few neglected rust spots starting to take hold, I didnt want to mot/tax it for another year. So a replacement was needed.

Heres the mighty beeza in its last moments, never guess it had ~500hp... ;) :

100_4888.jpg

So a couple of weeks ago, shell and everything non engine based was binned:

100_4904.jpg

100_4916.jpg

Enter stage right the 2.9 Rallye VR6:

rallye5.jpg

rallye2.jpg

I'd had this a few months and rebuilt the 2.9, and restored the car to its former glory. originally the plan was to keep it as a non turbo 2.9. Last weekend I converted it to OBD2 as I had a left hand drive OBD2 loom spare, and the one in the car had been crafted by edward scissor hands himself. But i couldnt hold back so it had to be done really.

Started this weekend. First task was to remove the freshly built "old" engine:

DSCF1021.jpg

DSCF1038.jpg

Then in went the Ibiza engine, now attached to the Rallyes 4wd gearbox and transfer box, and with an OBD2 manifold an throttle body (engine was OBD1 in the ibiza).

DSCF1042.jpg

DSCF1044.jpg

Want to neaten up some of the pipes this time too, so set to work crafting the 1 peice turbo inlet and 4" maf housing. This also incorporates a bracket that bolts up with the belt tensioner and keeps the whole pipe solid.

DSCF1127.jpg

DSCF1054.jpg

Last task for the weekend was making up the downpipe. This is a bit tight for space as the transfer box sits right in the way of where it wants to go, and as its a left hand drive car the rack and steering UJ are in the wrong place to. Its a small space to get a 3" pipe into.

However it wasnt to bad, and after a little while it was done:

DSCF1130.jpg

Fits great :)

New intercooler should arrive this week, so can make/modify the pipes to fit, then its all done :)

Tom.

I had taken the MSD coils off that engine to put on the 2.9 that was in there, didnt get round to that before i took it out! they'll be back on once its done.

The mk1 is sat at the back of the garage waiting for some money to be spent on it, needs paint before it goes any further really.

Theres no less room in a rallye than another mk2, the only difficulty is that the transfer box sit in the way of where the downpipe should be. its said syncros are "easier" becasue most turbo kits and manifolds cater for LHD and wont fit RHD cars.

This one will get more tlc. The ibiza was a bit of a test car and got a lot of "here, have a go in this". also developed code and allsorts in it.

In the Rallye I am going to drop down to a nice 11/12 psi which should be good for 300-350 BHP and just be nice to it :)

Tom.

Let's hope the drivetrain holds up tom

Defo!

It should be ok. I'll only be running 11/12 psi, and am using a std clutch - the idea being the clutch will give a bit before the rear diff does.....

Long term the drive train will be upgraded to haldex and then boost can go back up.

Thanks for the comments so far

Tom.

I'd just like to say i hate you so much as you are building the best car i can think of (h)

Sorry ;) but thanks... :)

Core for the intercooler has arrived, so can make up the end caps and get that in at the weekend, then do the boost pipes. Should pretty much have it done by monday with a bit of luck...

Tom.

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

Ok didnt do much on it last weekend in the end, but the one just gone I got loads done. Firstly the Sprinter intercooler turned up - its a large good flowing cooler and is widely available and cheap:

cooler3.jpg

It does have plastic end caps, which arent great for higher boost. Also the whole cooler is a bit too big for the rallye. So the end caps went in the bin, and 2 new end caps made up from 3mm alluminium and welded togther onto the cooler core, and painted. to leave us with:

cooler1.jpg

With the cooler finished and in place, work could start on the boost pipes. The ones from the ibiza were a bit to wibbly wobbly for the rallye, so a more direct route was taken. The pipes were tacked in place to see how they fitted

cooler2.jpg

boostp1.jpg

All pipes done and welded up:

allpipes.jpg

Ok so now with all that lot done I put the MSD coils and leads back on. Also took a vacuum/boost line from the manifold after the throttle plate to feed the forge diverter valave, and also the boost gauge.

Another Line was taken from the turbo compresser outlet to feed the wasteate.

msds1.jpg

msds2.jpg

ecuandtb.jpg

Next on the list was the fuel lines. The original lines are a little bit short now theres and inlet pipe and boost pipe in the way. They will fit but its not too neat. Also with the extra heat and with things being a bit tight its a good idea to protect them. So on went braided lines:

fuellines.jpg

And that's pretty much it. Put it all together, filled it with water an oil and turned the key and its up and running:

allin.jpg

With nothing left to do in the engine bay the front end could all be bolted back in and pluged up. so this was done and it looks pretty much complete and moves under its own steam.

List just to finish it next week is exhaust system with narrowband (for ecu) and wideband (for AFR gauge) Lambda probes, wastegate dump tube, fit the boost gauge inside. Also need to fit the cover on the scuttle tray when the new one turns up and put on the airfilter and just properly install the immobilser required by the OBD2 ecu rather than just have it sat on the floor...

complete.jpg

Tom.

you cant...

Its a merc sprinter cooler wil the plastic ends binned, custom ends fabricated and welded and custom stainless 2.5" piping.

Unless you have the tools to do it it'll be much easier to get a mk3 fit cooler from somewhere!

Tom.

you cant...

Its a merc sprinter cooler wil the plastic ends binned' date=' custom ends fabricated and welded and custom stainless 2.5" piping.

Unless you have the tools to do it it'll be much easier to get a mk3 fit cooler from somewhere!

Tom.

[/quote']

thanks for the info next question wherwe do i get the i/c setup from lol

Well you can get the sprinter cooler from a motor factors, or they crop up on ebay, but you'll have trouble getting it to fit.

If your after a mk3 fitment cooler, then i think forge motorsport do one, or some of the US tuning companys should be able to help you out.

Tom.