Hello!

I've been trawling the net for info in VAG-COM leads and software, and I've found a few for sale on e-gay. Thing is, they all state that they're for ODB2 ECU's, however the connector would fit my 1995 ODB1 VR as I've got the 16 pin connector next to my ashtray. All I want to do it turn the airbag light off!

So would the kits available for the bay work with my golf? Is it just a software issue?

Here's a link to one of them Ebay VAG-COM

Ta! :)

Moderator edit by: TheGoth

AFAIK, it is simply a plug issue. OBD1s are all assumed to have the twin two pin sockets. But as long as the plug fits the software should work. I have a small code reader which works on both, using a cable adapter.

But why is the airbag light on?

TG

I think the previous owner took the steering wheel off so that he could swap the clock lights over (to blue, which looks naff by the way!) so I'm assuming this is why it's on. Either that or he disconnected the Airbag whilst taking the steering wheel off and didn't re-conect it. Either way, I read that the ABS light and Airbag light come on for a short period of time on ignition and then go off. Mine didn't, so I pulled out the lights from the dash next to the headlight switch, and lo and behold the plug had been pulled out of the back. I plugged it back in and the ABS light comes on and goes off, but the Airbag light stays on. So have I got a Late ODB1 with a 16 Pin connector or what? Strange. Doesn't that mean I've got ODB2? All other signs point to it being ODB1 (indicator lights etc)

The surest way to find out is to look around the throttle body, the differences are listed on here somewhere. Although technically the OBD level relates to the ECU.

I have seen Highlines with square indicators! But late OBD1 did have the 16 pin port. Go figure!

TG

If you don't already have a crappy lappy and you only want to do simple things than try something like these:

Simple Code Readers

They will check fault codes and let you clear them. Probably does as much as the freeware VAG-COM software. And still works out cheaper than getting a stealer to plug vag-com in just once.

Im sure the ABS and Airbag cancel themselves after the fault is cured when u next start the car, thus turning the light off will only last until you next start the car then it will come back on, there must still be a fault in the system,

When I had my abs sensor go, I replaced it and then just started the car, the system checks itself then the light went out on its own,