I used to use normal 95 ron stuff but since i switched to optimax i get more miles for the same money anyway. False econemy running it on 95ron stuff IMO.

Best thing to do is have a go mate. Try it for a month on optimax and see what you think. Thats what i did and i never looked back. At least that way you get to make up your own mind. :)

If you can, try Tesco 99 ron. Higher ron rating and I used to use Optimax and also V-Max when it came out and the Tesco stuff is better in my opinion and runs really smoothly...but far far cheaper. Used to spend £45 a week - now I spend £35.

If you can' date=' try Tesco 99 ron. Higher ron rating and I used to use Optimax and also V-Max when it came out and the Tesco stuff is better in my opinion and runs really smoothly...but far far cheaper. Used to spend £45 a week - now I spend £35.

[/quote']

Funny you should say that. I have just driven from the Megameet in Billing (fantastic weekend for all those that missed it!) and this time i filled up on Tesco 99 RON. I usually use V-Power as i get higher mpg then normal 95 RON. Anyway with the Tesco stuff you couldnt half feel an increase in the power so was loving that! but..... only reached 27 mpg and that was at 85 most of the way. On V-Power i can get just over 300miles from a tank and hit 34mpg driving in the same style.

Whilst down there i also put in £20 of BP's Optimum or what ever it is called. Noticed no difference in power between V-Power and BP's but the mpg just went up and up with BP. So on my next trip to Northampton i'll be filling up on BP and seeing how well that performs!

• 2 months later...

Sorry to bring up a old post but is the Shell V power same as shell optimax ? *-) , went down to shell the other day after reading this post, put in £20 and wow, I can really feel the difference. The induction noise is now much louder! Can stop accerlerating hard lol, but the garage I found did not have optimax only V power and it costs around £1.05 a litre? IS it the same stuff?

Sorry to bring up a old post but is the Shell V power same as shell optimax ? *-) ' date=' went down to shell the other day after reading this post, put in £20 and wow, I can really feel the difference. [b']The induction noise is now much louder! Can stop accerlerating hard lol, but the garage I found did not have optimax only V power and it costs around £1.05 a litre? IS it the same stuff?

Uh? Really? How's that possible? Surely the type of fuel you use can't affect the induction noise? :-#

Wasnt optimax 98ron?

V powers 99.

I used to notice the difference in my lancia when i used to use optimax but since runnin vpower in the Dub i cant really feal any difference.

I know for sure that premium fuel is a rip off at the minute at over £1 per litre so im using standard stuff for the mean time.

I found this one the what car site

http://www.whatcar.co.uk/news-article.aspx?NA=228257

I used to run on Optimax but found it ran better when I couldn't get it one day and filled up with normal 95 ron. It seems the Optimax used to drop it's ron value quite quickly as it was artificially boosted using an additive which went off quick quickly. this is probably why it's been replaced with V-Power which supposed to be a different formula.

I found Esso 97 to be better and the Tesco 99 to be about the same but a little cheaper. The Tesco stuff is made by a green/bio fuel company and achives the high rating through refinement rather than additives.

Mine's mapped to use 98 though so don't know if you'd notice the difference on a standard map either.