I'm looking at VR6s to replace my current steed and was wondering about the differences between OBD1 and OBD2.

I know it's a different management system and that the OBD2 cars have a higher bhp output (182, is that right?), but how can you tell the difference between the earlier and the later cars.

When did the management change? :S

Splendid, thankyou. :D

Off to see a 1997 VR6 at the weekend - are there any specific bits I should look out for?

A friend has told me that he's seen a couple of post 100k miler VRs (which this is) with overheating problems. Is this common? :s

That's brilliant, thanks!

What is meant by full-closure alarm? Does the standard alarm close the eletric windows/sunroof?

The guide mentions two alarm fobs - slave and master. I assume there to be two slaves and one master, yeah? Are these built into the key or are they seperate?

What is meant by full-closure alarm? Does the standard alarm close the eletric windows/sunroof?

Not necessarily if it's an after market system' date=' although most do. All the VW factory fitted systems do. And it can be done with the key if you hold it in the 'lock' position for a couple of seconds. Auto closure still puts a smile on my face every time :-p

The guide mentions two alarm fobs - slave and master. I assume there to be two slaves and one master, yeah? Are these built into the key or are they seperate?

On later models ( OBD2 ) there is an immobiliser built into the ECU which detects a widget in the key which is separate from the alarm. VW charge a fortune to program replacement keys.

Then there are the alarm fobs ( which in most cases also have another immobilser ) these activate the central locking and disable the alarm and 2ndery immob. I think you you are assuming the fobs are slaves and the car is the master, which is wrong. Both terms refer to the actual fobs. They look very similar but new (slave) fobs can only be programmed using the master. So if you buy a car with only the slave fob and you lose it it's time for a new alarm. :-(

My bad, but AFAIK you only get one master and one slave. Unless my previous owner had lost a slave.

On my OBD2 GTi, the one in to the VW alarm controls power to the engine - no dash activity if engaged - and the ECU one cuts off the spark as soon as the engine starts.

Where as the aftermarket one on my OBD1 VR6 allows the car to turn over but inhibits the spark completely.

Asked the seller a few questions prior to going to see it today and got the following info;

Full service history.

Doesn't think the chain/tensioners have been replaced (work was always done at http://www.centralvwaudi.com/ so I'm going to ring and ask them.

Clutch is original (at 126k :o ).

No ABS/airbag warning lights (I will look for the self-test light on ignition when I go to see it).

Does have 2 key fobs, one has been kept safe. Alarm does the auto-closey thing.

Small rust spot on the tailgate, by one of the windows and by one of the lower arches.

One rear window goes up and down but there is a problem. Mentioned something about a catch that needs replacing?? It's a 5-door, btw.

Had new front pads/disks 6 months ago, rears were an advisory on the MOT a few weeks ago, as well as lines starting to corrode. I've had that on a previous car and I'm sure it's a minor issue as I had that car for 4 years and it kept on sailing through MOTs!

Only ever let him down twice, starter motor once and a gear selector cable.

What dya reckon? :^)

VW build them strong, my clutch was still fully operational when I had my chains done at 160K. If you can take a long screwdriver with you an use it as a stethascope to listen to the chain end of the engine.

Tailgate rust is very common. As is removing the bulbs from the ABS/Airbag dislay so do check they come on.

Using a lite oil is completely normal. Even from new VW say they can use 1L per 1000miles! One thing to check, which I don't think is in the buyers guide, is that from looking around the air filtr end of the engine is the first place to show head gasket problems with weeping/seeping near the back

I agree with you on pipe work, Mine has had it as an advisory ( on and off ) for the last 3 MOTs