CHARGER - What do I need????

Ok, so the temptation to supercharge my Vr is eating away at me! I've done a fair bit of research into this but as I'm no mechanic I'm after some of your thoughts and ideas.

You may have seen Alex (Lizard Racing) is selling his Stage 2 charger (and I hope he doesnt mind me asking) but I just want to know what additions to this kit I would need...

As it stands he is selling the following:

"This is a full kit to fit an OBD2 2.8 VR6. Kit is a full VF Engineering jobbie with Vortech V9F polished charger, 330cc injectors, 8 PSI pulley, 7 rib belt, adjustable fuel regulator, all hosing, alloy VF dump valve, tapped sump, OBD2 ECU with complete map to run 280ish BHP. There The belt is designed for a car with A/C but you can get one for a car without for £30."

Those of you that have gone down this route, did you have any engine testing *ie: compression test etc...) prior to fitting a charger. In addition to this would the blower need re-conditioning after 3000 miles?

i own a odb2 Vr currently at 80,000 miles, non-air con model.

I apologise for the number of questions, but I am just costing the job to see if I can afford it.

Would you reccomend this mod?

Many Thanks

Pete

I think you might need an idler pulley as you are non - aircon and a shorter belt as already mentioned. Other bits you might need if you havent got them aleady are an uprated front engine mount and a new set of cooler sparkplugs.

I don't think most people bother with a compression test, generally these engines handle small levels of boost no problem. The blower should last a longer time - up to 100k miles as long as you change your oil regularly, don't run a really small pulley or have the belt too highly tensioned which puts strain on the bearings.

I think most people would highly recomend this mod. It's certainly the best bang per buck and its a reliable option too.

You don't necessarily need different spark plug tbh. I'm still on standard plugs and it mapped no problem.

The pulley you will need is to fill the gap that the aircon pulley takes up on the belt.

Your VR will take 400hp without any issues (apart from a head spacer! lol) so a measly 8psi and 290bhp will be a daily driver for years. The charger needs no servicing at the moment and the oil on a Vortech takes it's pickup from the engines oil so change it as often as you change the oil on the car.

The most important thing is what exhaust you are running. As apart from what 'Mighty' says, is a decent exhaust, as I set fire to my cat and backbox before I bought a full Milltek system and decat - an exhaust is a must!! Oh and of course a remap! (£400)

By the time you've bought a charger I would also recommend water injection and a separate oil cooler to keep things cooler on the combustion and oil side. If you need all of the above and the charger you're gonna be looking at the wrong side of 2k for the lot.

Yes they make a huge difference. The extra heat eats the CATS so you need to be ready for that. Yes you can add as you go/funds allow. As with all these things the sooner the better

In the premium section (Costs you £10 & the best you will ever spend) there are walk throughs.

Dont forget to do brakes as you will need to stop quicker... ;)

sorry to but in but im also saving the funds for some tuning, what about intercoolers? is that just for turbo applications or is that just more expense instead of aquamist / oil cooler. also what sort of upgrade do you need for breaks and exhaust?

im running the 288 zimmerman xdrilled fronts and stock rears with a 2.5" jetex Cat back system. ideally should i be getting 312's 4 pot brembos off the cupra leon and a full 2.5" manifold, down pipe + decat?

sorry for butting in but like i say ive also been undecided whether to go 268's and a VSR or just cut the losses and go for more boom and get it charged. - how come they never did a golf VR6 storm like the corrado? it wouldve saved a few people doing it later!

id stick with aquamist, up intil about 10psi as it will be enough and is cheaper, then if i went higher look into chargecoolers as they lose less psi than an intercooler

Ive also got a low temp coolant thermostat which is worth doing as its only £17

I was going to go for the 268's and vsr but charging is cheaper tbh. Give NS Racing a call, thats where i got my kit, for a good price aswell

what do ya mean by the storm thing?? the ony thing difference with a corrado storm, and a normal corrado vr6 is the colour/leather, that is the only differnce

sorry to but in but im also saving the funds for some tuning' date=' what about intercoolers? is that just for turbo applications or is that just more expense instead of aquamist / oil cooler. also what sort of upgrade do you need for breaks and exhaust?

im running the 288 zimmerman xdrilled fronts and stock rears with a 2.5" jetex Cat back system. ideally should i be getting 312's 4 pot brembos off the cupra leon and a full 2.5" manifold, down pipe + decat?

sorry for butting in but like i say ive also been undecided whether to go 268's and a VSR or just cut the losses and go for more boom and get it charged. - how come they never did a golf VR6 storm like the corrado? it wouldve saved a few people doing it later!

[/quote']

Have a read in the members section Ben....

Brakes should be ok for 250-300bhp depens how you drive ;) Exhaust wise you will need 2.5" all the way through and a CAT for the charger so you dont eat it regular like ! :) or DeCat of course.

Temperatures run low enough to run without Cooler and Water if you just do Stage 2 however you build in reliability with lower temps so..... the oil cooler helps. Water just adds that extra bit of comfort in the summer or hard driving on a track. intercooler is not needed until you go stage 3 or turbo. Remember the intercooler takes power off your BHP.

Makes sense really keep it cool :)

248 work better on chargers because of the ingnition retard (though you can still use 268s)

and wasn't the storm called the highline :)