Cold weather is back and so is the problem!!

Well there are the ususal things to check.... Does it only happen under load or when you rev it??? I ask so you can pop out a plug or a lead and see what effect is has when testing!!!!!!!

Are all the contacts clean and where applicable gapped correctly? (Spark Plugs/throttle boddies/MAF etc etc etc etc)

Are all HT aspects ok? Coil pack and cables????

Is the Alternator working correctly?????

Is the battery good?????

Are the ECU contacts etc all clean and not wet etc etc etc

Do you have any fault codes such as Lamba sensor??????

After that we will need to look a little deeper..... such as moisture in the fuel lines (perished pipes) etc etc etc things where the heat starts to evaporate or expand metal parts that will create the issue when cold....

Old fashioned chokes/condensors/carbs - balancing and points are always the place to start..

I assume the car is standard and there are no issues with the timing/head gasket etc etc etc etc

Let us all know and we can start the old grey matter in to deeper thought

good luck!!!!

Well there are the ususal things to check.... Does it only happen under load or when you rev it??? I ask so you can pop out a plug or a lead and see what effect is has when testing!!!!!!!

Are all the contacts clean and where applicable gapped correctly? (Spark Plugs/throttle boddies/MAF etc etc etc etc)

Is the battery good?????

After that we will need to look a little deeper..... such as moisture in the fuel lines (perished pipes) etc etc etc things where the heat starts to evaporate or expand metal parts that will create the issue when cold....

Old fashioned chokes/condensors/carbs - balancing and points are always the place to start..

I assume the car is standard and there are no issues with the timing/head gasket etc etc etc etc

good luck!!!!

RCF, out of curiosity how would the alternator and battery cause this issue? I have a similair problem so going to change HT leads tomrrow and see what gives..........

Is the battery good?????

good luck!!!!

RCF' date=' out of curiosity how would the alternator and battery cause this issue? I have a similair problem so going to change HT leads tomrrow and see what gives..........

[/quote']

To be honest mate, the symptoms are pretty generic. If an earth connection between an engine and chassis rotted away or disconnected, and the owner of that car came on here and said "may car's running lumpy, it mis-fires, etc etc", I'm sure RCF's first questions (and mine) would be "How's the battery? Is the alternator charging properly? Are the leads OK?"

Reason being: Spark is probably the most important thing in a combustion engine. If it's not one, it's usually one of the others.

• 4 weeks later...