Positive check for blown head gasket

Can any one help with my MK3 VR6 1997 HIGHLINE only covered 30000miles

I regularly check my oil cap and dipstick every week and for the last 2 weeks the dreaded "mayo" has appeared under the filler cap.

The car had a VW garage oil change last month and the dipstick oil is always perfect.

During winter last year I had the same problem and to rule out all possibilities I got a new filler cap thinking the seal was allowing condensation to build up.The mayo did go away but the weather also improved around the same time.

I am not losing a dramatic amount of coolant however since I have had the car for the last 3 years I have to top the coolant reservoir up maybe once/twice a year .I sthis normal.

My wife uses the car mostly on short journeys (5-15mins) and only gets a long drive maybe twice a month).I have read that this also can cause the “mayoâ€

Is there a DIY test for a definite answer to check the head gasket? I have read about hydrocarbon testing the coolant and compression test in garages but I want to rule out all possibilities first.Is there anywhere else I easily check for the mayo.?

Can I put something on the oil filler cap to get a better seal and stop condensation building up (if that’s what it is)?

Any advice/tips/suggestions much appreciated.

Graham

what oil u using cheapo oil can do this when its cold iv seen it on old audis my k reg gti and new kangoo vans with a fresh oil change in cold weather and drivemaster oil which is still esso base oil it mixes with the cold condensation to form the mayo effect

what oil u using cheapo oil can do this when its cold iv seen it on old audis my k reg gti and new kangoo vans with a fresh oil change in cold weather and drivemaster oil which is still esso base oil it mixes with the cold condensation to form the mayo effect

it was just the oil supplied by the vw dealer.I will check tommorrow for more details

I had exactly the same problem 12 months after I bought mine with 50k on the clock. Worse than yours though, mine developed terrible smoke on the over run. I had the head fully flowed and ported and a leakdown test done to see if I had ring ware; all seemed ok (for 500 miles!!) then it started smoking even worse. The diesel used in the bores on the leakdown test had worked it's way round the rings and washed off all the carbon that had built up over the years of short journeys the previous owner had done and the engine developed horrendous blowby and piston slap.

Anyway with engine fully rebuilt with forged pistons and a 2.9 rebore, its safe to say it cured the problem, but not my bank balance!!

Moral of the story is big 2.8 engines are cruisers not town 5 minute runabouts, short journeys and not being run up to good operating temperature with varied throttle usage kills them. I'd consider how the car is used on a daily basis before any undue ware is done matey.

common problem mate, mine does it this time of year as i do alot of short runs

Vr's are damp engines anyway, but this time of year theyre worse than ever.

Give it an oil change with synta silver, just to make sure theres as little contanmination in it as possible and take it out for a decent play at the weekends to dry things out

maybe even chuck in a bottle of ceratec for abit more protection

Guys

thanks for the input

I have been monitoring the oil filler cap this week and no mayo has appered and coolant level has remained the same.Journey times where short and slow.

The next time it does appear though I will be a little less worried due to all you comments.

The oil I have used in all the oil changes I have done is quantum synta silver.

It is a good car with a full VW sevice history which verifys the milage to be genuine(paperwork to back it up) and I guess I need to drive it more the way a quility engine like the VR6 should be driven!

cheers