golf vr6 trck car

right,i've got a LHD that i wanna turn into track day beast,firstly do u think it matters that it's a 5 door as typicaly track cars a 3 door?will i notice a big differance in performance once i strip out the rear seats,door cards,carpets etc?how far can i go with it to still keep it street legal.i'll be after some serious downforce too so what spoilers/splitters etc should i get that actualy do the job and not just make it look like a barry boy max power lawn mower?i'll also be up for promoting the club with it so if

anyone can do me some vr6 owners club logos (but no go-faster sripes) feel free. ;)

my dad is a welder so i dare say i could do me a roll cage :-p

tbh i dont think it will matter that its a 5dr. now as for keeping it street legal best bet is to find a freindly mot centre and ask questions. thats what iv done when building my mk2 vr6 track car. its completely stripped out, no dash, no carpets, etc what tracks you lookin at going to??

A 5 door will never be as light as a 3 door so idealy you want a 3 door. But if you dont mind alittle extra weight than theres nothink wrong with a 5 door

Only think you probaly want which isnt street legal is perspect windows. But you can swap them over for MOT and with a 5 door its a much easyer job

Also tyres but toyo do some road liegal track tyres which would be pants in the wet but wicked in the dry

im planning on running at knockhill aswell. i will eventually get a trailer but till then i will be driving to and from the track and i will be gettin sum perspex windows to. imo the 5d will be more than enough if all your looking to do is go out and have fun on the track. most people that go up to knock hill are running there daily drives.

You can do a spectacular amount to your car and still keep it street legal. There's a chap from Wolverhampton that has a street legal drag car, and it's one of the fastest in its class in the world!!

5 door cars weigh about 30 Kg more than a 3 door due to the pillars and rear door shells etc, so blanking off the rear doors might be an idea. MOT rules don't state that the windows need to be openable. Look at the Ferarri F40. It had little slide-back panels in its perspex windows in place of retractable ones. The tyres people are thinking of are Toyo-R888's. They are pretty good, however they're expensive and if you're gonna use your car on the track I'd find out what other people are using. You'll find that most people have a "track set" of wheels with non-legal tyres on.

Apparently the Toyo R888's are horrific in the wet though so be careful. Its the only reason i havent bought them for the mk1. Perspex windows are fine - andylaurence had them in his beemer and he passed an MOT fine. Speak to Stonehouse Audi VW centre who will be able to help with anything you need to know as theyve prepped quite a few dubs for racing...

Apparently 5 door Mk3s handle better than 3 doors due to a lot less chassis flex.

Never heard that before! why is tehre less chassis flex? rear doors braking up the rigidity of the body? lol

deffo dont stick a 1.8T in it! perosnly i wouldnt go mad on it, just strip it out play with teh engine a bit. get it to around 200ish and just enjoy it. there was a mk3 vr6 i read about was striped out and could do 12 second quarter miles on a N/A 230bhp engine that had been messed with. not sure if it would have been much good around a circuit tho.

Ive had both and wouldn't say thats true! It would be very hard to feel that anyway, but i recon my 3 doors faster round the bends.

VR6 turbo in the back of a MK1 :) You would need good throttle control to keep the back end in tho LOL one day tho im going to make one haha

i say run the 5dr vr fully stripped out round knockhil as its a difficult track to drive a first. you get used to it after a few times. then look at engine mods. drove a cupla big power imprezas round it a few times. scary experience going into that blind corner at silly speeds. also the first and second corners are tricky, spun a cupla times there.