Hi All,

Well i had moved to the dark side and have owned a vectra sri for the last 10months, but am now going back to VW.

I have a possible purchase of a 1995 M reg Vr6 with 112000 miles. Serivce upto 70K and rest looked after by the owner.

Problem seemingly the car is not idleing correctly! When i had the old golf which were 8v and 16v mk2's and mk3's it used to have a problem with the Idle stabilisation valve are the Vr6's the same? Also do you reckon it is just a clean of the manifold?

Also when i go to look at it should i take my Vagcom lead and try and see what it shows? Can you tell me where abouts the connection is? I think its on the middle of the dash is this correct. I just have the basic software that you can download for free.

Also what is this likly to be OBD1 or 2?

What about timing chains are these a problem at this mileage?

Cheers in advance

Mark

1995 M reg is an OBD 1.

The port for the VAGcom lead is situated next to the front ashtray compartment. Take out the ashtray compartment and slide the small panel on the left side.

Timing chains usually need doing around the 100K for OBD1 but it also depends on how it has been looked after. If you hear a rattling chain noise then its most likely the tensioners or chain needs doing.There is a clip on here somewhere if you do a search for it . Mind you there are cars on here with very high mileages without a sound of timing chains rattling.

I have just spoken to the current owner and he has said that the coilpack is cracked. Now this will probably cause the syptoms i described before wherby it is very spluttery and seems to be lumpy under throttle? Also he has said that if you throttle the car it is missing again this could be the cause. Also he tells me that it sometimes clears and runs fine!

Whats your thoughts?

I am going to go and take a look tommorow already seen the car and it looks ok apart from the front suspension has been dropped looks really low. I will take along my vag-com lead and see what it shows. The car is a Nov 1994 car so this makes it OBD1 i am sure.

Cheers

Mark