I know its the wrong forum but...Imprezas

I know its the wrong place and you guys love your Vr`s myself included,but how does a VR compare to the impreza ..I dont mean chavtastic top speed dump valve stupid exhaust cack..I mean as an allround drivers car, build quality reliabilty of engines 4*4 system electrics etc? are they smooth like the VR or peaky power delivery? are the running costs fuel etc similar or worse..I do love the Vr for its super smooth tourqey engine and the car overall is great,but I also have a mk2 16v and a Corrado G60 and although the power of these 2 is nothing like the VR they are both better at handling/braking I know I can improve my VR in this department and I appologise for asking info on a Jap car but was just wondering if anyones had an experiences of these in the past thanks a lot for any info and hopefully not firing me down.Obviously if you all prefered imprezas you would own 1 and it would be as equally daft to go onto a subaru site asking to compare a VR6 to a an impreza,I`m just after a bit of un-biased input

I was gonna get an impreza, but then I drove my sisters and couldnt see what the fuss was about! Maybe a ltd edition one like an RB5, 22B or P1, but I couldnt justify the expense in running costs and servicing for the actually way the car went, so I bought a VR and charged it, which now destroys her scooby no problem and is alot smoother to drive and more economical

Scoobys are very reliable indeed, but if things do go wrong they get pricey fast! Simple jobs like changing a spark plug is abit fiddly on a scooby as they are on the sides of the engine as its a boxer and really it wasnt until 1998 that the interiors got any good when they added a facelift dash and really nice sports seats

Id stick with my VR anyday, just wish is sounded like a scooby

Having said that I could be tempted by the peanut eye model(the one after bug eye) once prices come down for my next car, but it would need tweeking to feel special i reakon

I would say a impreza is a silly fast yet cheep and tacky rally car.

Its deffo faster, better handling probaly more to insure.

2 compleaty different kind of motors.

Id rather have a better made smart looking cool vdub and put a turbo on it. Rather pull up in the petrol station in a dark 400bhp VRT than a tacky lairy loud flashy over the top impreza but it depends what you want it for

standard impreza's aint nopthing to write home about, the standard evo is a much better drivers car...impreza's once modified however then come into thier own, running costs are pretty much the same, parts are more expensive, but only if you dont no where to look.

interiors are typical jap, functional, and plain..

if you want a car to go stupidly quick once modified for not alot of money then you cant go far wrong...

obviously if its speed, start with something that has a charger bolted to it, as youre gonna get more gains in the first instance for less dollar...however if your planning to spend 2000-3000 on mods then mod the vr lump with either a supercharger or a turbo, and laugh as you pass all but the quickest of impreza's.

horses for courses, and whatever floats your boat my friend, ive had 4 200 sx's all modified and i still miss them for outright power, but the vr is a much better car to live with day to day ... , ive also had around 10 vw's so i can speak with some experience.

hth jim

iv only known two people who have owned one, and they both had bad expeience. The one guy had an early M reg one and teh engine completely needed rebuilding at silly costs after just a few months.

ANd the other was an X reg uk turbo i think and that was contantly breaking. guess teh newer ones would be better, i looked at gettin a non turbo (only 115bhp) years ago when i couldnt aford the turbo silly insurance, but wouldnt have either now.

Thanks guys for the constructive input,I think I will be sticking with the VR anyway,was just curious as to the comparison between running costs.The VR is a great car allround the only thing I can fault it on are the brakes they are truely shocking if you want to start giving it some beans I just dont the confidence in this department like my G60 ..What size brakes will I have on mine 280 or 288mm discs? its a 95 M plate obd1 engine and what is the best upgarde I can do? can I just simply upgarde discs/pads or can I fit a better set up from another VW group car thanks again...

iv got stock 288mm disks with pagid pads in mine and theyr not bad at all

before you go throwing money at it change the fluid it makes a hell of a diffrence dot 4 fluid absorbs moisture which causes bad fade especially if its old dot 5 doesnt and a fluid change isnt expensive either mate

As above stock brakes should be shit hot. I did a 5 stud convertion on my 1.4 planning to put a VR in it on 288 brakes with no abs.

To test them I slammed the brakes on at over 90 and they locked strate away no problem. The 1.4 brakes never used to lock so I found it a surprice lol

Deffo change the fluid first and if that dont help then its probaly your master cylinder from where somones changed pads wrong, Ie without taking the cap of the fluid container

If you change to bigger brakes you still need to sort the problem out other wise it will be no better

I had a 94 impreza wrx, it had 50k on it and was a fresh inport, i had it for 3 months. 280 bhp 4x4 it was a tool! but i was spending £80 a week in fuel and was covering 250miles tops, it had to go!

Then came my Vr, i had it for 4 yrs, it had more toys and felt far more solid, better on fuel to around £60 week to do the same miles oh and the sound wasn't far off the scooby!

I sold the VR 3wks ago.............now i got a 94 Celica GT4..........FOLKS ditch the VR and go 4x4 Turbo, the Celica is much BETTER than the golf on fuel, i didnt realise how bad the vr was on fuel untill i got this, i was expecting the Celica to be worse, oh no boy was i wrong. its a 4x4 2litre turbo ffs it whistles like a bitch! I must admit the golf was my 4th leg for years and i swore to the vdub scene but the japs can make 4x4 turbos right, once you have driven one nothing compares.

'To test them I slammed the brakes on at over 90'

That was clever then?!!

standard brakes should be really good if they're working correctly.

The 1.4 brakes never used to lock so I found it a surprice lol

It was my first car the 1.4, then I fitted the 288 brakes, I had never driven anythink else and you can slam your foot to the floor with 1.4 and it wont lock, Just slow you down nicly. Which I did daily for a year or so before uprating the brakes

HENCE why after i fitted my brakes i did the same thing

Sorry for not been as "clever" as you mate,

just trying to give the geeza an idea of how good standard VR brakes should be.......

You only need two tools in life: WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the duct tape.

I think you should WD your handbrake and duct tape your broken engine mount "clever aint it" :)

sorry dude you pissed me off