TEMPTED BT THE DARK SIDE!!!!

I am sure you have all noticed the recent increases in fuel cost's, i am currently paying about 111.00 for a litre of v-power. My car is a daily driver and fuel is my second biggest cost after my mortgage!!!

Now i never expected my VR to be particularly economical, but over the last 10,000 miles, i have never managed to get my average speed on the 2000 mile trip counter over about 23mph ( i'm still fairly proud as i believe govenrment figures for average speed in london state about 6 mph)

Now bearing the above in mind i started to look up figure's on mk4 p.d t.d.i's, these engines in 130bhp with the 6 speed build about 210 n/m torque as standard, and with one of many available chips will go upto 180bhp and about 300 n/m of torque!!!

so i am basicly seriously tempted by the p.d 130 as i think 0 - 100 they are just as quick as the VR ( my mate has a chipped 150 that keeps on pulling like a train upto about 130 mph, and with all the camera's and stuff everywhere, when was the last time you went above those dort of speeds?)

So these new t.d.i's are like the modern VR6 upto everyday speeds in a city, and due to the low-down torque, possibly a bit quicker point to point in the city!!

just wondering what u guy's n gal's thought? ;)

get yourself the 130 bhp and stick Revo chip to 180+bhp

the 130 is cheaper than 150bhp because a lot more around than 150 bhp

low insurance group very good fuel bills but sounds like an ice cream van or a genarator

you will miss the roar of the vr6 but not the 20 mpg

let us know what u go for as i thought about this option every year

but i dont use the vr that much so still thinking?

It all sounds like a common point of view, vrs as 250 mile a week dailies aren't the best idea. BUT, end of the day, as much as I've thought about other rides I KNOW I'll miss the vr. The noise, the power, the straight up cool factor. I keep looking at getting a Lupo for the cheapness, slammed and chipped is all you need to do. But then i get in the vr and feel nice.

i appreciate what your saying there al, but as we can see from the general reaction here, the fact of the matter is 20 mpg is bloody prehistoric consumption, a chipped 130 pd is a bloody quick car. and i tried running mine on 95 ron last month, like pete said, it just runs crap.

i know the feeling of running a vr on the daily commute.

Pre my s/c install, mine used to be my daily, and wasn't too bad with betwwen 26-30 mpg with mainly motorway.

Then i got a job that required a commute to work on the wonders of public transport.

Now i'm back on the road again for the next job, and now my vr has her boost on, daily commuting is a no go.

So i'm currently looking for a daily diesel, but torn between and soot-blowing banger for under a grand that i can run into the ground, or something halve decent.

Go for the 130 and chip it mate, i would if i had the cash spare

i was in in same boat. want to keep the vr but the cost of fuel is a joke thats why the vr is so cheep to buy now i put mine up for sale about 3 times now with not much look so i am going to keep the vr for summer so i am going to tax it every 6 months and use the tdi all years round

road tax for vr about = 100.00 for 6 months= 28mpg :@

road tax for audi A2 TDI =35.00 12 months= 60 mpg :):)

so hope :@ fully i can keep my vr for another 4 years or more

tinny22

m too old to be driving around in some old piece of crap doing 5 mph while blowing the road up. the 130 going to be the way methinks' date=' with the giac chip.

[/quote']

|-) |-) |-) You can't be a dub head and say that about a Mk1 caddy pick up. Totaly wicked classic car, Im shocked mate

this way you can always jump back in the VR :)

My dad had a 150bhp GTtdi Mk4 golf and that was rapid, Dont think the 0-60 was far off my VR and he was getting about 50 per gallon.... which is nice... Mk4s are a heavy car tho,

hey dude, didn't mean no offence to your caddy, im sure its a real classic, me and a mate (montevr6) will hopefully be getting a vr into his old mk2 this summer)

but the fact of the matter is that point to point upto 100, possibly 120 miles an hour, theres nothing between the vr and a tdi, also ive been doing a bit of research and now there are a load of hybrid turbo's for the t.d.i.'s and all sorts.

Just to add to/re-enforce the debate. Remember that the TDi are actually quite similar in many ways to the VR6. They are not the best off the mark (Not Slow) but once up and running the tourqe(ies) come out to play.

For example the new batch of 2.0tdi only have 150-170 BHP but push out 350-400Nm. If you look at the spec sheets they are faster than the vr. It is just a VERY different driving style (Much more relaxed).

The big thing you'll miss is the sound!

If you can find a good deal then keep the VR for the weekend/occasions and have an oil burner for the rest of the time.

I wouldn't worry to much about hitting a power figure. If you want more then the 200+ figure is loads and you'll have more issues keeping tyres for a period of time.

Just my 2p worth as I am also tempted by the darkside, but will be keeping my VR locked up safe for fun days.

Hey chaps, I have a PD 130 tuned to 185 bhp and 415 NM, some of you may know me from SWDUBS or UK-MKIVS.

Having been for many a little thrash with many other vr owners (VR6_Absy, VR6MadMike, CharlieVR6, HiPurVR6) I can vouch for the fact a remapped 130 is damn near as quick as a OBDII VR. A VR will edge away once it gets to the top of the revs in 3rd, but there is not a lot in it.

My average MPG is around 48, can get 55 ish on the motorway in 6th, and if giving it absolute death it drops to 41-42 MPG.

I've had the car 3 years now, done more mods than I can remember but wouldn't sell it for anything!

If anyone wants any info about the PD TDI's I am happy to help!

• 1 month later...

yeah the sound is completely different in the t.d.i, but this becomes the same as the exhaust conundrum, i want to go quickly, not be heard for 2 miles. i wouldnt hold on to the vr to just use every now and then, id rather it went to a good home. but as rcf said, the torque in these things is phenomenal!!!

my window cleaner! has a Jabba modded 150 gttdi and its putting out 240bhp :o he spent a fair bit but the thing is immense! some dude on a big sport motorbike stopped next to him at a roundabout after he just blew him away in a cloud of soot and said "I think your engines blown mate" he just laughed and said "diesel"

the guy on the bike was gob smacked he just been "done" by a diesel golf :)

bit girly giving your car a name' date=' but i think its the way forward!!!

[/quote']

All my cars have names and yeah its is girlie but as I'm female i can get away with it ;) .

Everyone knows my cars by their names and most people say to me oh hows Jerry coming along or hows Dylon lol

at my disposal at the moment is a mk4 gt tdi 130, 2x 328 bmw's and a 16valve mk3 that i am converting to a vr6, this will be used as a daily, the 130 tdi 6 speed is quick with loads of torque and more enjoyable to drive than one of the 328 bm's (e46 328 semi auto saloon version) but does suffer from the usual performance problems that most of vw's tdi's suffer, faulty maf's, sticky actuators etc.

you can zip about town with a return of about 42 mpg easily, something that isnt acheived with any of the others but the tdi isnt mine but is good fun to use. it wont excite you up the rev range like the vr6 with an engine note to support it but it will save you on trips to the petrol station, but diesel is slightly pricier than petrol so i'd work out the difference with the miles you cover compared to petrol first.

the other bmw , that is my maion car but never going to be a daily, is an e36 328 convertible, and once its back on the road i am considering converting it to a 330 diesel