Conversion - VR6 Into Mk3 Colour Concept.

Hello all!

Im wondering if i can get some answers regarding a conversion i wish to undertake.

I have a 1997 Yellow Mk3 Gti, its an 8v colour concept and is mint. I would like to fit a complete

vr6 engine and box to my car. Ive had a corrado vr6 and ideally want that engine as i believe it is running 190bhp over the golfs 170bhp am i right?

Im guessing the best bet is to buy a rear ended car so i can swap all relavent parts over? Does the corrado lump and parts fit straight into my golf, or is it easier just to buy a vr6 golf as a donar?

The engine can be stripped and inspected as ive been told it would be best to change the timing chain and guides whilst the engine is between cars. Also i was told the vr6 engines suffer with piston ring wear, is this true. My corrado was at 120k and didnt smoke at all. Iam very hands on so stripping the engine isnt really a problem but if it isnt needed then i wont!

Finally. Im not the best at sorting wiring looms out, would i need the vr6 loom,ecu and fusebox etc? Or can i plug into my current gti fusebox? Does the dash have to come apart to do the conversion, i hope not but if i need different clocks etc then guess i will.

Anyhelp would be very useful!

P.s, forgot would the MFA still work?

This has been discussed so many times mate and to be fair final conclusions have usually been 'It's not worth it'.

If you're gonna do an engine transplant, do it to the same model vehicle as the cost and time needed to replace all the parts from a VR6 to say a Colour Concept is just not worth it.

i guess it depends how much u want a yellow color concept vr6... of course it would be much easier to pick up a vr in black,blue or red and add the relevent color concept interior which is what i did.

if u do go for it with the yellow one im pretty sure the clocks need changing as the rev counter will be 50% out (it measures the individual combustions so with 6 cylinders the gauge will read 1500rpm when the engine is at 1000)

Im in the process of reshelling my VR. Found a clean and strate black 3 door 1.8 CL for £700

Alot cheeper than a rust free VR? I would think.

Im going to change the lot. Dashboard (different dash), clocks looms, fuse box strearing rack, But ive got a hole VR to take everythink off.

Also pedal box needs changing (hydrilic clutch ect)

Ive even got to go as far as the electric windows and looms.... As the new ones is a 1994 with no electric windows. What was important for me is that its clean, and for £700 i feel ive done a good job.

Because im doning the work myself its not going to cost me a thing

a desent colour change respray is going to cost you a few grand anyway... And thats if its a mint motor in the first place. If you have a few dings or scabs or rust then its probaly going to cost about £4000 for a good job.

There was somone on hear selling a compleate Mk3 VR for £300.... been in a smash but i guess it been sold now