straight through exhaust or cat-back

Recently bought my vr6 and it has a cat-back milltek exhaust system fitted on it. The guy gave me a straight through pipe with the car that goes with the system. He said he changed it over and put the cat back on for the mot and hasn't changed it back over. Just wondering.... whats the pro's and con's to a straight through pipe and do you get any power gains or does it just make the car louder????

• 2 months later...

Recently had my suitecase box removed and replaced with a custom pipe, now running 6 branch mani straight through to back box with nothing in between - 2.25" bore and it sounds awesome without being chavvy nova stylee and tbh seems just as fast as before with the 2 box system.

The car was decatted when i brought it so can't tell if it loses you much back pressure or power but mine made 191.4 bhp at Awesome recently so can't be bad.

Unless your going for forced induction, Id just leave the CAT standard, or atleast wouldnt bother replacing unless the original one was shot anyway, the whole standard exhaust system on the VR flows pretty well TBH, you will get small gains but its more just for the looks and sound really.