juddering and back firein

I've now seen a similar thing on 2 MK3 16Vers. Mine would become lumpy mid range when warm and the other lost power in high revs when warm and it was down to the ECU supply relay.

http://www.tiepie.com/uk/automotive/GMTO/VW_Golf_problem.html

I'll have to double check which relay position is used on a VR and the number printed on it. On a 16ver it has 30 written on it but that's not to say a VR uses the same number.

After all the money you've spent - I spent a fair bit before finding it :-( - a tenner on a relay even if just to see, unless you can borrow one, doesn't seem extreme.

TG

P.s. was it the stealer who suggested replacing the gear box?

• 2 months later...

I would still recomend changing the coil pack. My car was doing this (drove me mad) and I had replaced plugs and leads too. I had also removed the coil pack, checked for cracks, tested for correct impedances and sprayed water on the pack while the engine was running at night to check for sparks. All tests showed the coil pack was fine.

The, tried a new coil pack in desperation and the car ran perfectly after that. The coilpack really is the weak spot of the VR6 give it a shot.