Gearbox clicking in 1st Gear...???

Hi All,

I recently acquired a mk3 VR6 highline and have had a big smile on my face since! :D

A problem though... its recently started making a clicking sound when 1st gear is engaged and the noise changes as I accelerate so Im assuming 1st is buggered??

Looking at getting a replacement gearbox now, am I correct in thinking that all mk3 vr6 use the same box? i.e. 02A?

if not then how do I know what gearbox I have? thanks!

yer sounds like there a tooth missing off 1st gear.

Donno if all the boxs are the same.. I thought so but there where 2 VRs in this scrap yard i use.. Both where different and the one wouldn't fit. they both looked different tho so if it looks the same then you should be ok

if it was a cv joint wouldnt it be making that noise in all gears whether the clutch was depressed or not?

The sound only comes about when 1st is engaged and rises with the rev counter and does sound like a tooth is missing!?

Bugger!

so how do I find out which type of 'box I have? is there any sort of guide?

thanks for the help guys

All VR6 'boxes are the same

You sure? There where two VR6 shells next to two surposed "VR6 gearboxs" Both vw. same cable gearchange same cups..splines ect.

One had different speed sencer in a different place and a visably diferent diff casing and wouldn't fit (very anyouing)? Other fitted strate on no problems!

Could have been from a different mk3 but i didnt see any others around.. I was surpriced that they would use 2 different boxs in a VR so i could be wrong

If i was you just have a good look at your box before you pick one up (postion of speed sencers plugs ect) just to make sure.. Other thing is go to VW with your reg and get the part number (located inside the bell housing)

Got my box for £100 so it wasn't realy that exspencive.. Release bearing only realy makes a noise (when nackerd) when you rest your foot on the clutch or press it down.

If it only happends in first gear then that means it not CV joint, diff bolt or release bearing.. Almost 100% 1st gear

ive got the same problem' date=' Does it sound like if you were to run a stick down the side of a fence.? We worked out that it was the clutch release bearing. Do a search on the forum.

[/quote']

LOL thats exactly what the sound sounds like!!

I guess im just going to go for a new(2nd hand!) gearbox!

Do I have to buy the release bearing separate or does it come with the 'box??

ok one last hurdle. I spoke to the previous previous owner and he mentioned that a few years ago the gearbox was changed for one from a '93 model...does that make any difference now and can I stilstick the '97 'box in??

thanks

Got my box for £100 so it wasn't realy that exspencive.. Release bearing only realy makes a noise (when nackerd) when you rest your foot on the clutch or press it down.

If it only happends in first gear then that means it not CV joint' date=' diff bolt or release bearing.. Almost 100% 1st gear

[/quote']

where did you get your box for £100?? best place to look ebay??

If it only happends in first gear then that means it not CV joint' date=' diff bolt or release bearing.. Almost 100% 1st gear

[/quote']

where did you get your box for £100?? best place to look ebay??

Ebay seems to be abit exspensive.. People try and sell them for £250 knowning that if somone needs a gearbox then there more than lighty going to buy it

VW scrap yards are exspensive aswell... Cheepest place would be a general scrap yard as some of them tend not to know what some things are worth.. Gearbox is a gearbox £100 but you might spend some time looking for one

As you can still drive yours you can spend alittle time looking around and also try knocking them down abit.. "theres one on ebay for £100 but i gota drive 40 miles to collect ect" Alot of them will drop there price but if its fair in the first place some wont.. Id still of payed £150 for mine but think £200-£250 is alittle much..

One more thing make sure you can get your money back if it don't work properly if the box is alread out the car