Rod bearings gone + very possibly more

Ok, driving along for about 7 - 8 miles and car decided to throw a couple of rod bearings and burnt most if not all of it's oil somehow. I know this from the noise the engine was making and the sudden smoke out the exhaust. This all happened in the space of a minute or two, so i'm thinking something failed. I know my radiator fan has been playing up, but would that have caused this if the fan wasn't running, surely not over such a short distance?

I know oil coolers are a common problem on these, but again could it of caused something this bad?

I'm not even going to bother stripping the engine down, just going to replace it as i'm fairly certain more damage has been caused than just bearings, the car won't even start now, and it would be a lot cheaper also.

de-ja-vo ! the same thing happend to me last week, went and got a replacment lump today

with is being fitted tomorrow so when the old ones out im wanting to strip it down and find

the cause.

What noise did yours make? mine was like a metal hamer hitting the side of the block in time with the rpm

also the oil temp shot up just before the noise started and i lost power.

best of luck!

funny thing is shold i have been able to drive 8 more miles after the noise started?

i had no way of getting it home so i thought f@ck it if its had it its had it so i waited for it to cool

down and went for it. was fine if i did'nt go over 1200rpm