project vr turbo - less than a grand - thread cleaned and updated 19 05 2009

lowered the compression using a spacer plate, works well and did'nt cost the earth

transmission is holding up fine, and at the mo so is the clutch..although i reckon its on the edge of what a standard unit can take.. ive got a few vids from a recent track day , just gotta put them into small clips..which ill do soonish

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

well, quick update

exhaust had been blowinfg for some time..as one of the studs in the head decided it wasnt going to tighten. so when i went to remove it yesterday, two more snapped off in the head :(

luckily for me (i hope) there should be just enough to get a stud extractor on, if not the heads gotta come off blah blah blah..

im also gonna tidy up the wiring and see why the wastegate aint doing what it should, i may even order a new spring and then use a mbc to get the desired boost..

all in all though, the engine itself is fine..did a 14.1 at the pod with wheelspin in the first 3 gears..so some traction issues i think.

will also be using the winter to uprate the fuel pump, with a intake walbro unit.

• 2 weeks later...

another update, ive ordered a carbon fibre airbox thingy, which is here now, im also hoping to get a new (secondhand) stainless exhaust .. then ive gota make a up a lambda loom, im also when funds allow next year gonna , take a trip to stealth or maybe go standalone.. for a proper remap..

Just read through your thraed and see that you are going to fit a Walbro unit.

Just bought one of thses from Sytec-FSE, Spoke to Terry and they sold me a in tank pump that is good for 500bhp for £80. Had to modify the swirl pot slightly and use some of the old pump as a sleeve, but took me around 2hours to have everything done and no problems so far

Their Number is 01784 493555

right , i now have my carbon fibre air box, loads of heat wrap, for all my cables. stainless tie wraps, new / old jetex exhaust on way..and im about to swap back to my 15" audi pepper pots and stick the 17's on the wife's new mk4 gti.

im just awaiting another headgasket from stealth and ill be chucking it back together..

lets hope the exhaust dont blow this time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

right quick update..

retrimmed the bumper today , ready for paint next week, im painting the bumper grill and maybe two front wings myself assuming all goes well.

ill stick up some photos as i go , then it'll be onto engi ne plastics etc.. been busy tidying , so a bit of a thread revamp soon..

still runs very well, just need to aquire some 440's and offload my 360 injectors.