how do you change the thermostat housing?

As for the housing that holds the actual thermostat in place is just two allen bolts. Prob easier to replace the lot of your going to the trouble of replacing the thermostat. As usually they warp over time with the heat so replacing one part of the thermostat housing can lead to sealing problems due to warping.

I did mine on the weekend, its about a 2 hour job, first unplug the leads from the coil pack, make sure you mark them on what lead went where, remove the plastic housing above the coil pack, to remove the coil pack you need I think 6ml allen key.

unplug all the wires from the 3 sensors, the blue yellow and other one if you have it, on the side of the thermostat there is one allen key bolt holding the housing to the engine and 2 other long bolts"you will need a long allen key to remove this" the others you will be able to do with a small allen key. then unplug all the pipes to the thermostat housing and it should come of. For ease I would buy the themostat housing plus the bit that goes on the bottom.

take your time and try not to round off the heads on the allen key bolt's as this is very easy to do.

****Warning make sure the engine is cold when you do it the coolant get's hot enough to give severe burns***

P.S its easier to do with having the new thermostat housing to look at as you see where all the bolts are.