Difference in 1997 model year?

The Vr has always had the aux water pump..

I'm pretty sure the early ones didn't. I was under the impression they put it in in '95 when they updated a load of other things and went to OBD2.

Were the ECU changes significant?

I dont suppose anyone knows why American Golfs had those cool instrument clusters with low fuel gauge and trunk open etc etc? And more importantly, were any made in UK that have this ?

Still puzzles me why they would bother changing the cover to 2.8 when there was only a year of production left. Odd.

i thought the differences are the later spec'd ones got the 288mm front discs and a coilpack and different managment, the rest is cosmetic ?

No idea :)

I just read elsewhere the reason they changed it was due to the argument of the VR6 engine not really being double camshaft. Looks like its solved :)

Still looking for a VR6 you see, I was wondering if the 1997 model year had something I should consider getting over earlier years, thanks for the replies :)

i thought the differences are the later spec'd ones got the 288mm front discs and a coilpack and different managment' date=' the rest is cosmetic ?[/quote']

No idea :)

I just read elsewhere the reason they changed it was due to the argument of the VR6 engine not really being double camshaft. Looks like its solved :)

Still looking for a VR6 you see, I was wondering if the 1997 model year had something I should consider getting over earlier years, thanks for the replies :)

to answer your question NO not worth getting a 97 over any other obd2 vr (1995 on)

and the vr6 IS dohc just got 6 valves per cam thats all