Replacement windscreen - now complete with a note

Guys N girls,

I have aquired a crack in my windscreen. Before I get on to the old insurance company, I thought I would check... I have a recollection about there being a couple of different types and that it had to have black bits on it (I assume to cover the dash leading edge)....

Any help or pointers would be appreciated

Cheers

when you get it done alot of place may try to say you need new seals, you wont, just some little clips that are pennies each, just incase the original ones break

Its worth having a look at the area underneath when the glass is out aswel as its a coomon problem to be absolutly soaking and rusted out underneath, which normally shows when it gets worse as those little rust bubbles along the top of the screen, so if you have time to just grind that back to clean metal and paint some rust killer on, then it'll be sorted for years as they squirt on a thick bead of what looks like black silicone to glue the screen back in

Ok so one new windscreen fitted and all seems ok. It was actually really quite easy.....

I use Adrian flux and it was done through Redstar as the insurance company so £70 excess on that.

Process was nice and easy got to choose from RAC or Autoglass so went with Autoglass as I have heard others at issue with RAC.

All booked over the phone, a man called and check the screen was correct after i enquired. Actually new his onions.

Then screen was fitted at home the following day (to suit me) . A little spot of surface rust on the top of the screen above the driver. he filed it down and gunked over it (nothing to see externally) 45 mins later job done.

The big shiock for me £487.19 for the job. So guys check your insurance covers it

:D

i just had my windscreen smashed last nite, rining around for quotes theres a massive difference in prices:

Autoglass: £337.55 (including a 30% AA discount)

National Windscreens: £133.49

i know who i'm going with:)

i spoke to national windscreens and made sure that they knew i needed the tinted screen for the VR6 and they said that was fine, ill let u guys know how it goes but they seem to know what theyre talkking about (fingers crossed)

i just had my windscreen smashed last nite' date=' rining around for quotes theres a massive difference in prices:

Autoglass: £337.55 (including a 30% AA discount)

National Windscreens: £133.49

i know who i'm going with:)

i spoke to national windscreens and made sure that they knew i needed the tinted screen for the VR6 and they said that was fine, ill let u guys know how it goes but they seem to know what theyre talkking about (fingers crossed)

[/quote']

why not just get it on the insurance?

i had my vr6 windscreen replaced by autoglas a few years back. just have to wait a few hours before can drive due to the airbags fitted. then drove in the rain and water pouring in from the bottom of the creen all over top of dash blowin up my tomtom. called them and they very apologetic. they came and took windscreen out, replaced all of the silicone and was then about to leave. I mentioned my tomtom and he none the wiser in fact he was a complete arse. not lettin him go phone his office and they say not there prob. after a few stern phone calls and explaining that if fitted correctly in the first place this would not have happened they broke and i got brand new tomtom out of them and a grovelling apology letter. just be waned watch them like a hawk and clean up properly.

• 1 year later...

Had to have mine done a month or 2 ago,

250 i think is what i paid(cabrio)

Guy turns up and says he cant do the job without breaking the side strips and i'd need to go to vw to buy replacements....I told him not to bother and i'd call his company to explain why the job hadnt gone ahead...

He took of tye side strips(took him 20 mins each side)

Point is...ripping them off would have taken 10 seconds either side...Doing the job properly takes time