Personally I'd rather run E85 than LPG, but it's rather less available (currently) than LPG, but yeah, it's doable.

LPG needs to run fatter than petrol so I hate to think of the fuel consumption, LOL!

A big donut tank in the boot doesn't really appeal. E85 gives you more oomph, but is even less calorific than LPG, but the bonus is you don't need a special tank like LPG.

Whats E85 kev? Ive never hurd of it. Can u tell me abit more about it please! Is it cheeper to run? Performace. What needs to be done to the car to use it. Thanks

i'm also interested to know as i was thinking of going the lpg route but maybe this option is easier and better

Yeah good website but not realy telling me what I wanna know.

"hmmm less mpg and its not really any cheaper than petrol?"

That might just be because petrol is so cheep in the USA. The saving over hear might be alot better.

If kev uses it he can tell us what in specific needs to be changed on a VR to make it useable. Also how much he pays for it over hear!

To run E85 you need to inject ~30% more fuel compared to normal petrol.

The prices of E85 and Petrol are comparable, so in turn you will hae ~30% worse MPG.

How ever E85 runs alot cooler, and cleaner, and will produce more power than petrol.

Interestingly petrol has legal ethanol percentage content, and it is going up and up year by year.

E85 is hard to get ahold of on this shore. Morrisons are beginning to sell it, but only in ruralish areas. parts of Kent, East Anglia and the west country spring to mind.

The reason we will be changing to this fuel is that 85% of it is made from crops, and therefore the need to seek out dwindling fossil fuel supplies will be less on the forefront of fuel technology. E85 is available at the pump all over europe and many places in the USA.

What C2 say basically.

My local Morrisons sell E85, but I haven't yet tried it on my VR. I will be in the near future though.

For it to work in an OE fashion, you need some way of detecting when E85 is present in the fuel system and an ECU capable of using that information to switch maps or compensate the existing maps automatically.

Currently GM do an inline E85 sensor and I know that the DTA S80 / S100 standalone has automatic compensations and features built in, based on the GM 12570260 Ethanol sensor.

Most injectors and pumps are OK with E85 (some say "Alcohol compatible" now) but I'm not sure which lambda probes can use it. The Innovate LC-1 has Alcohol AFR controls in it.

Most EFI engines are ready to go with E85, although there is some concern that it can eat through rubber fuel lines, but you will need to look at bigger injectors to get the extra fuel in.

Injecting neat methanol into a VRT engine has seen a reduction in EGT of 300 deg F, so I'm suspecting if E85 is the main fuel, you can do away with water / meth injection completely.

What you really want to inject is Nitromethane though :-)