vr6 has a sort of kickdown......?

Heya, not been on here in a little while, sorry about that!

Got a bit of a quesiton to ask...........

Bit of a strange one this, and wondering if its just my car as i've not noticed other vr6's do it in the past.

Driving along normally, say sat in 4th at 50 for example, and you put your foot down and it has a sort of kickdown as an automatic would have. It goes up a couple of hundred revs, hearing a the change in the engine note and see the needle on the rev limiter, and then drops back and picks up again. Very strange! and it does it in most gears. Its alright when your just going from stand still and up through the revs as normal, its just when your cruising along and planting it. I've noticed it doing it a lot more over the last couple of weeks.

anyone else had this on a mk3 vr?? any idea what could be causing it?

oh, and it is a manual gearbox before anyone asks, :lol:

Cheers :D

yeh, its completely fine from standing and when changing gears, its just when you plant your foot without altering your gear mid way through the revs that it does it, so i wouldnt have thought that would be the clutch, but then im not that good at mechanical type stuff really

i've never tried pulling away in a gear higher than 2nd though. is that a telling way of if a clutch is going then, if i were to try and pull off in 4th/5th??

i've never tried pulling away in a gear higher than 2nd though. is that a telling way of if a clutch is going then' date=' if i were to try and pull off in 4th/5th??

[/quote']

the normal way is to try to pull away from about 25-30mph in 4th/5th. If the speed and revs increase together all is well. If the revs increase without the speed then the clutch is slipping.

so sounds like i wont be putting the car on the rolling road at stealth next week then if the clutch is on its way out! great!

cheers for the help guys i had no idea thats what it would be as im not mechanically minded in the slightest really.