i have just purchased my first vr6 and am well pleased with it, its a 97 mk3 golf in excellent condition, completely standard, everything works 100%, the only two small things im curious about and hopefully all you vr6 scientists out there can help me on......the first is when i start the engine there seems to be a little knocking noise from the engine every time it starts and the second problem is selecting first gear isnt always easy, i sometimes have to nearly put it into 2nd then into first to get it. any help and knowledge will greatly help people.......

knocking I would hazard a guess was the tappets if it goes after a few seconds, an oil change will help

Ive just changed my gearbox mount and found it cured all the niggles I had with my gear change

have a look at it and see if it looks like its leaking, if it is replace it could also be worn bushes on the gear linkage/mechanism

my vr and my mates all tap on start up, nothing to worrie about unless it doesnt go after a min or so, but mk2 eight valves are really tapey on start up its common according to my local vw garage, as i was worried at first with my vr