my timing marks don't line up with camshafts!!

Hi all,

I'm in the process of doing my timing chains. Whilst I was stripping it down and locking the camshafts in place I noticed that the timing notch on the crankshaft was out by about half a centimetre before I could lock the camshaft in place. Should I be worried?. I've stripped the chains off but am not sure whether to set the timing properly lining up camshafts and crankshaft as it should be or to go with what was there in the first place as it seemed to be running fine. Any ideas?

any help would be much appreciated

hi, this is a common issue and i'm sure if you click the blue timing chains link on your original text there will be plenty of information on this issue.

i have come across this on a couple of occasions it'll be obvious if theyre out cos it will run like poo!

:)

ive recently done a set of these on my mates vr and i would make sure it all lines up spot on its alot of work putting it togehter to find its wrong, is the intermidete shaft lined up correctly we didnt get his quit right an the cams lined up an crank never, all 3 marks should line up.when setting the top chains make sure the chain is tight on the guide and tensioner bolt is in before turning it over otherwise it will move the timing out.

hope this helps