VR6 Performance??

Hi All

After owning a various mk 1, 2, 3golfs and corrados I decieded it was time to enter the VR6 ownership

After a 7 month search I found the car that fitted my spec and budget, a 5 door 1996 mulberry Highline, 2 owners from new both women Full VAG service history, with 95000 on the clock, parting with £2000 I took charge of my first VR6, now ive heard stories of reliability problems but had nothing major go wrong in 16 months, "Alarm problems mostly"

Now Ive read loads of stuff regarding the VR6 v Type R but didnt really care that the Type R was the faster of the 2 cars according to most blogs, "And I really like the Type R cars so I'm not Bias to VW"

Now we come to my car! Ive had all manor of drag races from local traffic lights but so far the only thing thtas beat me was a Focus ST but when I say beaten at 110mph the Focus was only half a car in front, so he hadnt even pulled the lenth of the golf" I was Chuffed ST 0-100 16.7 as tested by EVO" I have never been beaten by any Type R and there is loads and loads of them where I live Civic, Accord, Integra etc etc I even blew a Mondeo ST220 away and my mates Lotus elise 135 hp model pulled past through the frist 2 gears but then could only hang on until 90mph to which I then started pulling away and by 120Mph I was about 3 car lenth away and the car still pulling hard.

Now many people have said my car is quicker than it should be! the only mods it has is a free flowing air filter and a full stainless exhaust and a chiped all done by the last owner and I'm running on Tesco 99 Its the best petrol money can buy for me.

The usual stats for the 174bhp car is 0-60 7.1 and 0-100 18.5 but the 96 cars had different electronics and were more like 190BHP so ive read! so with the mods my car has would I be pushing 200ish BHP or did vw lie about power and performance or is my golf just a monday car??

Im loving every second of VR6 ownership, Yes its a bit saggy around the bends but thats great when your doing lots of motorway miles, your teeth arent falling out due to rock hard susspesion, the MPG is much better than I expected as well, round town with normal driving 25 mpg is common but motoway miles it get up to 32 at a steady 80mph

Would like to hear any info of your golfs removing the smiles from people with so called newer faster cars faces!!

I have never been beaten by any Type R !

well its all done to the driver

accord Type R 212 bhp will be neck and neck i should know i had both

the way to test how quick your vr6 is

get it on the rolling road and it will give u the bhp if its over 200bhp then its a quick vr6

Whist I didnt quite beat them I gave them the shock of their lives...

My standard "looking" car had a wee traffic light run at at an old 968 Turbo and then a Farrari 575 both had a young looking dude in it who tried to get from 3 lanes into 2 in front of me... That was a giggle.....

I tend not to bother as I am now old and dont break the law anymore as my points wont take it!

However, it is a giggle to let a "bigger and better" car know he isnt as big as he thinks he is every so often.

I dont mind losing by that kinda margin - it is worth it for the look on their faces and the repeated head swivelling....

I always imagne them going WTF is that piece of **** it's 10 years old......... LOL :D

some 19 year old round my way has taken out a huge loan and got a 54 plate wrx....hes a mate of a mate. anyway i was following him out of town the other day i was 3 cars behind and could see him zooming off. i was behind him at the next set of lights he shot off and i was stuck to him all the way, after a few miles he gave up.......it put a smile on my face for days.