hints and tips for refitting gearbox

Hi all,

i'm in the process of refitting the gearbox in my 97 VR. The box is supported by both a jack and a frame across top of engine bay. I've pretty much got it back to the right height for relocation with lots of blood sweat and tears. However now i'm really struggling to locate the splined shaft into the clutch plate and get the box all nicely on and lined up. Are there any hints and tips that might make things a bit easier??

thanks for any help

make sure your clutch is properly alined, You need to let the box hang abit lower and then lift it up so you can wiggle it around abit and adjust the angle. Leaving it surported if you need a rest but not at the high you need to slide it on as it can give you the wrong angle.

haha tight fit getting it up there in the first place enit

also make sure its not hitting on the chassie leg. You might have to lower the engine down or higher it abit to give clearence a mate can make it go on alot easyer lol

good luck..

cheers, couldn't believe how tight it was getting the damn thing into the correct place lol! the clutch is spot on centre so hopefully i'll get it back on tomorrow. Ive got a feeling it is gonna be a long day. bring on the Tetley!!!

anymore tips people???

Well its job done. I had to get a friend to help with the lifting of the gearbox. As lifting and moving it around on my own just wasn't gonna work. I had a jack underneath plus me and then a support beam at the top plus a friend. The last part where you have to line up the shaft with the clutch plate was a bit of a pain but with some wriggling it went in. It was just a question of when lifting the box having to tilt it and angle it to get the clearance. If you can get more room by removing more bits I would.