I currently own a mk2 8V GTI - as it's becoming more unreliable and I'm having to drive more miles to/from work I've been looking into getting something newer.

The other half's got a mk4 GTI but it's the 2.0 one and while it's nice to drive etc, I think I want something with a bit more er balls.

Going to look at a Y reg 4 motion next week - never been in one or even seen one being driven anything but sensibly.

What's the general concesus? Good points / bad points? What should I be looking out for?

i would read the r32 buyers guide as they have similar things to look out for other than that off the top of my head there aint really any problems that i have not had to much trouble with mine its a lovely car i wud say deffo get one with recaro's in (leather) if u get a pree march 2001 and 1 u will be £225 better off in road tax but i think its well worth the £440 road tax next year

• 1 month later...

Well - after looking at about 6 or 7 different 4motions, I finally got one:

media?id=772217620

Stuff you can't see from this photo - 2000 X heated leather Recarros, R32 interior trim (no walnut) including gear knob, Polo rear wiper, Anni rear spoiler, "privacy" glass all round - 62k and managed 33mpg on the trip home!