What turbo mainfold is this??

aenginebay.jpg

Just wondering what exhaust mainfold this is, Or what mainfold could be used

The plan is to start off without an intercooler

Some of these http://www.spturboparts.com/afterMarket/ViewDetails.aspx?prod=15909

One of these (could you run with with standard inlet manni?) http://www.spturboparts.com/afterMarket/ViewDetails.aspx?prod=16349

one of these to start off (not ideal but cheep and good make) http://www.spturboparts.com/afterMarket/ViewDetails.aspx?prod=16241

What would a VR with that turbo drive like?

One of these (is it the right one?) http://www.spturboparts.com/afterMarket/ViewDetails.aspx?prod=16267

Home made bodge downpipe + begi fpr

All come to around £1000 for brand new parts

All going on stock engine, new chains, new shells, new standard headgasket, new piston rings and APR rod bolts

Run at 6psi 260bhp ish?

Sounds like a plan to me.. have i missed anything or over looked anything?

stage 2

After that head spacer, ARP heads, intercooler and piping off ebay, raise to 11psi 300 bhp ish

Stage 3

then it will be a case of adding cams p+p head pistons LSD C2 software new dirty big fuck off turbo 400 bhp

What do you all think? mainly what manifold and would that turbo do untill upgrade?

Thanks for any advice, for me i think this is the way forward

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could i use the ATP mainfold with standard inlet/ no intercooler?

Also got a feeling that turbo (T3/4) link above really wouldn't be a very good match on a VRT ??

Would a T04E http://www.spturboparts.com/afterMarket/ViewDetails.aspx?prod=16244 Or a 60-1 http://www.spturboparts.com/afterMarket/ViewDetails.aspx?prod=16243 Be any better? When the time comes id be looking to spend £400-£500 on a turbo

Also where do you get the flange for the 3" V band for a custom downpipe?

C2 do you sell LHD 3" v band down pipes that i could use the flange and first elbow?

Would there be any need for EGT and AFR gauges on a 6 psi non intercooled set up? Or are these only really needed on bigger BH higher psi VRTs for people that worry to much, personly id rather drive it than watch gauges lol?

have a look in m thread about LHD to RHD re: the ATP mani. been told you can use it but youll have to rotatae the turbo through 180deg so the turbo clears the TB on the standard inlet. you also have to sue the ATP downpipe which picks the exhaust up from the drivers side instead and youll have to relocate your intake/MAF to the pass side

Thanks lad vr and sharky

So you can mount the turbo upside down, Doesn't matter about oil feed coming in the top drain out the bottom?

Right you know how the turbo outlet (compression side) is facing down, If you slack the ring of bolts can you twist it so the outlet is facing upward towards the standard inlet manifold? Pritty sure you could on the trucks i used to work on

Considering you got a nice GT30 sitting at home im sure you will have done it before me, Ive been asking question about turbos for the last few years and finally getting to the sort of age its possible. At least this way when the time comes ill have a good idea what needs doing

ha ditto!

ive stopped and started more times than i can remember. still not decided about the mani and DP yet

Don't think there's much chose from tbf, Little summary from what Ive read, SPA is pants, Kinetic seems a big no no on RHD which leaves you with the most popular and reliable ATP manifold

If that ATP downpipe for the turbo fitted upside down is a nice fit or reqs only slight modifaction on RHD then were laffin, If not i wouldn't fancy making a downpipe up like that atall,

Which means using a short runner making the downpipe easyer to fab, Wish id got a Tig welder as a custom inlet wouldn't be very ££££ to make, Just standard lower inlet mani and big ally tube, Altho id need loads of practice to get my tiging neat and air tight

Im assuming that i can fab a downpipe with a mig welder? Ive fabricated some exhaust with mig with good leak free results but never a dowpipe

Thanks lad vr and sharky

So you can mount the turbo upside down' date=' Doesn't matter about oil feed coming in the top drain out the bottom?

Im sure i read on the garrett site that the oil feed must be at the bottom?

Your probaly right dude, That way it be under more pressure i think, as it would have to get forsed out the top?, In that link sharky posted it shows you how you can rotate the oil feeds and inlet so it would be pukkas from that respect

from reading through kevhaywires DIY the downpipe doesnt look over complicated. just a few pieces from jetex and a flex section, then your choice of fitting for the end, v band, 3 bolt etc. and then the wastegate dump tube and lamba boss. thought you could prob mod a wg screamer pipe to fit, would already have the correct boss, and lamba just a case of drilling the hole and getting a good weld

still hearing mixed stuff about the spa though, its still on the maybe list for me but would need to get it guaranteed as rhd

I agree, the SPA would be best, simple down pipe to fab, Turbo in a nice place plus you can run standard inlet

It would be nice to find out if kevs was a doggy one as it does have the name ground off, Why else would they do that?

Plus if SPA offer a lifetime guarantee why worry about it, depending on there exchange policy (would they want old mani back first)

Just thinking if doing a mod like this would help

Standard

35e044a79931358f3bb809f020af2d78.jpg

Modded

inlet2.jpg

If you cut though them bits of metal then it would be less lighty to crack due to there been room for expansion Just a idea

not too clued up on that front!

from reading kevs DIY it isnt just a weakness in the mani but the ports are poorly alingned and the face didnt sit perfectly flush.

did consider it was a bad batch but youre right, the way the name was ground off it does look like a knock off

one of the major components though so im willing to pay for one with a guarantee

A friend has a very similar turbo and is currently running a non-intercooled setup with good results. 6psi should be doable on standard compression... I know they had some difficulty going much over that. He's now running 8:1 compression... still not cooled and running 10psi.

I have a similar turbo on mine... It drives brilliantly. Makes 9psi by 2500rpm..., starts to boost from as low as 2000rpm. I'm reliably informed it'll hold a bar to the top.

Thanks lad vr and sharky

So you can mount the turbo upside down' date=' Doesn't matter about oil feed coming in the top drain out the bottom?

Im sure i read on the garrett site that the oil feed must be at the bottom?

Your probaly right dude, That way it be under more pressure i think, as it would have to get forsed out the top?, In that link sharky posted it shows you how you can rotate the oil feeds and inlet so it would be pukkas from that respect

Sorry, typed that wrong, I meant that i'm sure i read that the return should exit at the bottom of the turbo. (thats what you get when you try and grab a sneaky peak on tinternet at work!)

I think im going to send SPA a email asking about the problems kev has had and about the ground off name' date=' See if they say anythink about a bad batch! hopefully they will give us abit more confidence about there manifold,

Ill post replys later

[/quote']

The manifolds we sell come with the warranty, they dont have anything ground off.

I think im going to send SPA a email asking about the problems kev has had and about the ground off name' date=' See if they say anythink about a bad batch! hopefully they will give us abit more confidence about there manifold,

Ill post replys later

[/quote']

The manifolds we sell come with the warranty, they dont have anything ground off.

Whats the warranty? They say on there website its only for professional installs which means it wouldn't cover most of us

On kevs im cracking up thread you said you were speaking to them about it, What was the outcome of this, What do SPA say about it??

How many warranty clames does C2 have when using this manifold?

It does seem thats theres a problem with them (not only kevs) which i think people will find hard to ignore,

Looks like its going to have to be ATPs manifold and downpipe plus a grinder and some tears, Its a shame really

To be fair, I'm one of handful of people who uses their VRTs daily. Daily used cars always reveal weaknesses far sooner than weekend / monthly cars.

I've done 25K in 2 years with mine and the SPA manifold is the only component that has broken through general use.....twice. I'm not an idiot and will accept responsibilty where it's due, but a simple cast iron lump, which can only be fitted one way (i.e. the correct way) cannot crack and misalign because of user error.

It's not just the SPA though. I've rejected two ATP manifolds for the same reason. They drilled the flange holes in the wrong place.

The Kinetic manifold is the only one that is consistently good and it's the best design and best made imo....but the wastegate outlet is in a schitt position and it sits the turbo a little too close to the steering rack in RHD cars.

Erm, wakey wakey manifold producers....there is massive hole in the market for a QUALITY rhd manifold....please, please, please someone make one!! Pretty please with a cherry on top....